Question Overclocking Intel i7 5500u

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
You can't really overclock an intel non K cpu, let alone a laptop cpu. And I would not even recommend it if it was possible, laptop CPU's tend to already run way to hot under load.

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
You can't really overclock an intel non K cpu, let alone a laptop cpu. And I would not even recommend it if it was possible, laptop CPU's tend to already run way to hot under load.
Thanks for that. I didn't know it. Do you have any recommendations for me to increase the cpu power? My laptop is super slow while my ram is 8. Do you think it can be because of the hard drive? My windows settings are optimized btw

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
What is super slow? Starting the pc? Loading apps? Getting an SSD always helps normally, but it requires you to install windows on the new SSD. I also don't know your laptop model or anything, so don't know what kind of SSD would fit. The cpu is quite old, so you probably won't have a M.2 slot on your mobo. Do some research on what SSD you could replace/add in your system. Moving windows and your main apps to an SSD is always a good way to make a older laptop run smooth.

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
What is super slow? Starting the pc? Loading apps? Getting an SSD always helps normally, but it requires you to install windows on the new SSD. I also don't know your laptop model or anything, so don't know what kind of SSD would fit. The cpu is quite old, so you probably won't have a M.2 slot on your mobo. Do some research on what SSD you could replace/add in your system. Moving windows and your main apps to an SSD is always a good way to make a older laptop run smooth.
I have a Lenovo e550. 8gb ram, 2GB vram, and as you know a terrible cpu. Yes I really do want to replace my hdd with an ssd but I'm afraid it might not be worth the price as my laptops other specs are not that good either. Do you think it's worth it to buy a ssd for this system or is buying a better laptop a better option? Sorry I keep asking questions

AIN17

Reputable
Jul 15, 2016
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
You'd be surprised at how much faster an SSD can make a system. My first laptop has an AMD Turion X2 with 4GB of RAM; it's a Vista-era system that obviously hasn't aged well. With an SSD, it can run Windows 10 without issue. It's not able to do much beyond office-level work these days, but it goes to show just how much life an SSD can pump into a system.
CrystalDiskInfo can tell you your hard drive health. Given the E550 (I'm actually this on the same model lol) is about 5 years old, there's a possibility yours is starting to slow down, as the standard drive life is 5-7 years.
If you get an SSD and a SATA-to-USB adapter, you can use a drive utility (such as EaseUs Todo Backup Free) to clone your current drive to the new one, sidestepping the need to reinstall anything or transfer your files.
I've got an SSD in my E550, and believe me, it's worth it. If anything, that should be your first upgrade to speed up the system.

Reactions: aden.anderson2001

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
You'd be surprised at how much faster an SSD can make a system. My first laptop has an AMD Turion X2 with 4GB of RAM; it's a Vista-era system that obviously hasn't aged well. With an SSD, it can run Windows 10 without issue. It's not able to do much beyond office-level work these days, but it goes to show just how much life an SSD can pump into a system.
CrystalDiskInfo can tell you your hard drive health. Given the E550 (I'm actually this on the same model lol) is about 5 years old, there's a possibility yours is starting to slow down, as the standard drive life is 5-7 years.
If you get an SSD and a SATA-to-USB adapter, you can use a drive utility (such as EaseUs Todo Backup Free) to clone your current drive to the new one, sidestepping the need to reinstall anything or transfer your files.
I've got an SSD in my E550, and believe me, it's worth it. If anything, that should be your first upgrade to speed up the system.
Hello. Since I posted this thread I was actually thinking about installing an SSD and I finally did it 2 months ago. Installed a Samsung evo 860 but I took out the CD drive as it's of no use these days and put the SSD there while I kept my internal hdd in its place. Now the system is much much better but I'm thinking of increasing the ram from 8 to 16 now. Don't know if it's worth it with this laptop or not. I also ruined my first hdd which came with the e550 itself by playing a box match with my laptop...and it was gone. And this hdd is the third hdd I have installed don't know how long this one will last lol.