Question Overheating CPU Help

Sep 26, 2020
My CPU has started overheating over the last couple of days, I have tried taking off the water cooler and re-applying thermal paste. This doesn't seem to have fixed anything.
In BIOS I have both fans working (CPU and case) but my Pump speed is 0RPM so I'm thinking the water cooler might be broken but I'm not sure.

Specs:

CPU - i7-9700k
Cooler Master lite 120
MB - MSI Z390-A PRO

The resting temp is 50 degrees right now however if i start a youtube video or a game it will ramp up to high 80s into the 90s.

I also had a beeping noise last night that sounded like an alarm and it gave me a message on screen that the CPU was overheating.

Any help would be appreciated.

try disconnecting and reconnecting the pump.

Maybe swap it from CPU_FAN to AIO_PUMP if your board has that connector, and vice versa.

If all that does not help, check both header to see if they are working (connect a fan to them, and check if it spins.)

Sep 26, 2020
try disconnecting and reconnecting the pump.

Maybe swap it from CPU_FAN to AIO_PUMP if your board has that connector, and vice versa.

If all that does not help, check both header to see if they are working (connect a fan to them, and check if it spins.)
Hey thanks for the reply, I don't believe my board has the AIO_PUMP.

I checked the header for pump and it worked with a fan so that seems to be running alright.

My CPU fan and System fan are both running, its just the Pump that stays at 0 RPM - I wonder if it is a broken cooler

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020
I have swapped both System fan and PUMP fan connections, all fans are working on cooler, case and GPU.

Pump now has a read on RPM but all SYSTEM 1 - 5 have 0 RPM, is this normal?

Also my CPU temps are still high after doing this

I have swapped both System fan and PUMP fan connections, all fans are working on cooler, case and GPU.

Pump now has a read on RPM but all SYSTEM 1 - 5 have 0 RPM, is this normal?

Also my CPU temps are still high after doing this
Weird.

I just checked, your board does have a pump connector. please check the manual to see where it is.

Also, the pc might have an error preventing you from booting when using that connector with nothing plugged into CPU_FAN
so go into the bios to disable CPU_FAN monitoring.

Check temps after doing that.

Sep 26, 2020
Hey, so I have CPU FAN connected, the PUMP connector was where the pump was connected to and getting 0RPM and the SYSTEM FAN was connected for internal fan.

I swapped the connections between SYSTEM FAN and PUMP FAN and now get around 1320 RPM on the pump speed and all fans are still running as usual. However in BIOS the System 1-5 all now show 0 RPM, it is only CPU FAN and PUMP FAN that show around 1320 RPM.

Doing this hasn't improved anything though as if i start any game my temps go to around 100 degrees within 2 mins