abutsun

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
My alienware 15 r2 has been overheating lately (56 c° when idle)
I've been told that it uses Mica to cool off the cpu (I've never heard of it before) and that i can't use thermal paste on mica.
What can i do to fix its overheating problem? Thank you in advance

Solution
Mica? Like the mineral mica?

A repaste might work, but since it uses thermal pads, the gap may be too large for thermal paste unless it's some real thick stuff. I believe it uses 0.5mm thick thermal pads, but I can definitely be wrong. Thermal grizzly Minus 8 0.5mm is such a pad. You just cut it to the size of the cpu/gpu die, and place it on top. Be sure to give the cpu/gpu a thorough clean.

Perhaps buy some inexpensive 0.5mm thermal pads to try out to see if it fits unless you can confirm it's 0.5mm.
Mica? Like the mineral mica?

A repaste might work, but since it uses thermal pads, the gap may be too large for thermal paste unless it's some real thick stuff. I believe it uses 0.5mm thick thermal pads, but I can definitely be wrong. Thermal grizzly Minus 8 0.5mm is such a pad. You just cut it to the size of the cpu/gpu die, and place it on top. Be sure to give the cpu/gpu a thorough clean.

Perhaps buy some inexpensive 0.5mm thermal pads to try out to see if it fits unless you can confirm it's 0.5mm.

Solution