[SOLVED] Overlay / Vignette on Samsung S27D390H after 1 second

Jul 31, 2021
Greetings, hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

When I turned on my PC this morning, my secondary monitor started acting strange and I'm wondering if there's something to be done. I haven't found any topics mentioning this issue (I found dark overlay issues with Samsungs but those looked very different, but I guess it could be a hardware issue).

After turning it on, it detects itself as being plugged in HDMI as usual, nothing wrong there. But then, the moment the monitor shows a "HDMI" notification in the top left of the screen, it puts on this dark overlay/vignette on the screen that I've never seen before. It looks like a broken display, I think, but I am not certain if it's not just a weird Windows or Nvidia setting. The other, primary monitor is plugged in with DisplayPort. The issue looks like this:

H1iMvEF.jpg

Unfortunately it is difficult to take a picture when it still looks normal since my camera isn't fast enough to catch the moment when it looks completely fine.

I suspect that this issue is related the monitor's source auto detection, because when I change the source settings to AV and then back to HDMI it briefly shows my desktop correctly (no vignette visible) before the screen goes black, as if it can't find the source anymore. Only when I turn the monitor completely off and back on does it work again.

What I have tried so far:
  • Reinstalled Nvidia driver (with clean settings).
  • Reset Monitor settings to factory.
  • Update any outstanding Windows 10 settings.
  • Swap the HDMI cable.
None of these have had any effect, unfortunately.

I've looked around the Windows display settings, Nvidia settings, etc. but I can't find anything that would be related.
Since this monitor was bought in 2014, I can accept it just being broken hardware, but since the display actually looks fine for a second before putting on this weird dark vignette, I am unsure if it's even a hardware issue or just a software setting.

Thanks to anyone that has any insight!

Solution
This is a backlight issue. Not uncommon for screens of this age. Since it flares up uniformly for a second when plugging the hdmi cable in, it's most probaly faulty capacitors on power delivery to LED backlight ( this is not amoled display ). It can be fixed rather easily but question is, if it's worth it. Take it to repair shop and ask them for a quote.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
This is a backlight issue. Not uncommon for screens of this age. Since it flares up uniformly for a second when plugging the hdmi cable in, it's most probaly faulty capacitors on power delivery to LED backlight ( this is not amoled display ). It can be fixed rather easily but question is, if it's worth it. Take it to repair shop and ask them for a quote.

Solution
Jul 31, 2021
Thanks a bunch, Bazzy! I checked with my local repair shop (I live in Switzerland) and they said it's not worth repairing, would be cheaper to buy a new one. That's Swiss prices for you, haha. Still, a shame.
But yeah that makes sense re: the faulty capacitors, will have to bite the bullet and buy a new one finally.