dinkycar

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Hi all,

former console gamer here. I built a gaming PC with the help of a PC enthusiast buddy last week, and have been greatly enjoying it so far.

I've been playing Fallout 4 at 60FPS and loving it. One of the problems with it though, is that the game's load times are somehow tied to its frame rate so I literally had to install a mod that unlocks the game's frame rate only during the loading and indoor/outdoor transition screens to prevent them from lasting upwards of 2-3 minutes. During these 9-10 second long periods, my frame rate can go up as high as 400 FPS and I can occasionally hear one of the fans in my system spin up a bit. After the loading screen though, the frame rate caps back to 60FPS.

My question is, is it bad for my system to run the game at such a high frame rate even if it is only for 9-10 second intervals whenever the game loads in or out, or transitioning into/out of buildings in-game? I would hate to be harming my system's longevity just to be able to play Fallout 4, and if it is harmful to have to play the game in this manner I'd rather just not play it entirely.

Thanks in advance all.

Solution
It's not necessarily going to harm it. If the high frames were really any kind of problem it would just heat up the GPU more than normal periodically, but processors are protected by lowering their settings when they heat up to a certain point. This is called thermal throttling.

If you want the GPU to stay as cool as possible, the thing to do is set a frame rate limit in your GPU control panel.
It's not necessarily going to harm it. If the high frames were really any kind of problem it would just heat up the GPU more than normal periodically, but processors are protected by lowering their settings when they heat up to a certain point. This is called thermal throttling.

If you want the GPU to stay as cool as possible, the thing to do is set a frame rate limit in your GPU control panel.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution