P4 630 - running slow?

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Ok
I have a P4 630 which I beleive should run stock at 3.0 ghz. When i use something like cpu-z or throttle watch, it says my cpu frequency is running around 2.8 ghz. Does this mean then my chip is running below 3.0ghz and why would this be? Is this because of the new Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) which, as in the case of the enhanced halt state, reduces clock speed (to 2.8GHz) and voltage as well? Or is it because of Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST)? My point being is I would have thought I should be running at 3.0ghz unless I'm, overheating or something, which I am not. In fact, the temps I get are pretty good considering everything I'd heard about scotty.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tomr23 on 04/28/05 10:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Youve got something screwed in the BIOS or a OC program that runs in window. Post you sytem specs and most impotantly which MOBO do you have?

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
This isnt the CPU, its the work around that the MOBO's use to manipulate the multiplier on the 775 chips. They will run at either stock or 14. 14X200=2800 Hes probably got the unlock feature enabled. Actually I know that its enabled, the question is how did he do it. If the system crashed for any reason it will default back to 2800.

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Ok, i'll grab some specs and post them (only just got to check the forum now and I'm at work).
Some basics i can think off top of my head are:
p4 630
asus P5GDC-V-Deluxe bios 1007 release

what is the unlock feature we're talking about?
the asus boot util pops up on loading and it has i gather a s/ware OC feature, but to my knowledge I have not enabled or tried using anything like this.

endyen

Splendid
It's just enhanced speed step ala <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050221/prescott-02.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050221/prescott-02.html</A>
Enhanced SpeedStep
SpeedStep does exactly the same as TM2, with the difference that it is initiated by the operating system. Whenever the system load is low, Windows XP SP2 will cause the CPU to lower the clock speed in 200 MHz increments by using ACPI mechanisms. Again, this is performed dynamically, which means that executing a demanding application will cause the system to speed up again.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Was it running at the correct speed at first? The ASUS boards can drop the mutiplier down to 14 which is whathas happened. Either you did it by accident or your system must have been shut down due to overheating or a failed OC. What happened right before you noticed that it was not running at the correct speed? This is easy to fix. Let me know when you are at you r comp.

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
ok ill be home later tonight and then hop back on.
im sorry i cant say if it ever was at the correct speed....the first time I checked it it was showing those speeds (using an app like cpu-z or throttle watch) and i thought that's not right!
It hasn't crashed to my knowledge, but of course id like to be getting the correct performance out of my chip/board. There was some sort of error when i first upgraded the bios (using the asus update tool within windows). I do remember something about a setting being incorrect, but only the one time and now she boots up no problems showing bios 1007 in use etc etc

one other setting i can remember right now is voltage was 1.42.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tomr23 on 04/30/05 01:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
ah ok just read the other post...so it should be at 2.8 unless the demand is there to go to 3.0? (not a huge jump though is it!)

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
No, thats not right. It should be running at stock settings which are 3.0 I can talk you through this I have an ASUS board myself. Do you have the software program AIBooster? Its an ASUS program. If you do, open it up and look over on the right side for CPU UTILIZATION. it should have the number 200 above it just to the right of that number what is listed. It will most likely be 14. If you dont have this program then we will boot into BIOS and fix it there. Do you have ASUS PROBE this is a software program that reads temps if you do what are your CPU and MB temps.

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
Ok I have AIBooster. CPU utilization is 200 and to the right the number is 15. ABove that it says 3010.67 mhz, so it's saying the chip is at 3.0ghz? The other tools always said 2.8 as I stated before.

my cpu temp is 42 celsius (105f)
my mobo temp is 28 celsius (82f)

i think those temps are pretty good for scotty?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
my friend you are running at 3.0Ghz Im not sure why the others tell you different but your temps look good and its running at 3.0 You dont have the AI NOS software enabled do you?

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
cool, thanks guys. not sure why those other 2 apps are saying 2.8 but never mind.
yeah, i was quite happy with those temps too...even after playing a game for a while etc they stay pretty low. i bought an exact same system for my sister and hers is even running a little cooler than mine, guess we might have gotten lucky somehow and got a nice scotty...though i was hopefull before buying that the 6xx series would be a little cooler than the earlier ones.
i havent touched the nos/boost thing yet....dont have a need to o/c yet, but i may down the track.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You mentioned that you had a glitch when upgrading your BIOS didnt you? Tell me more about exactly what happened when you flashed your BIOS.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I may be way off in LA LA land with this, but I have been running controlled test using different configurations and the newer BIOS features that are a result of PCIexpress. There are quite a few new ones that have only recently appeared with the new platforms. There is little to almost zero info on some of these features or how they effect the overall system performance. One in particular that I have really worked with alot lately is the PCIexpress Frequency. This is a very interesting setting. I think that most enthusiast see the Auto setting on any BIOS feature as a waste of valuable OC potential. ASUS and ABIT are the only 2 companies at the moment that can say they have truely mastered this setting. The PCIexpress frequency is what they manipulate during startup so that the board basically tricks the CPU and therefore is able to adjust the multiplier to 14. My first 775 board was an EPOX and the PCIexpress frequency had to be steadily bumped up as you increased the FSB. It would severly limit your OC if it wasnt raised along with adding more voltage to the Chipset. Ok, I have gotten way off in right field. Sorry about that. What I am trying to say is that I have noticed that if the PCIexpress Frequency is not properly adjusted for any given speed, the CPU tends to pulsate at idle. Not much, but it will bounce around. Its almost like the MOBO is more of an animal that you have to satisfy or it refuses to do what you want it to do. After typing that, I just realized that they all are like that to some degree. I guess I will start referring to my MOBO as "HER" :tongue:

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
It's a little hard to remember...something about a setting or check sum being incorrect and that i had to enter the bios (kinda guessing at the exact wording here), then it waited until i did something...so I went into the bios...checked and all looked normal, exited without saving and since it hasn;t happened again. I flashed using the windows flasher using the lastest bios 1007.

tomr23

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2005
ah, typical woman! cant make up their minds lol
i've noticed that asus boost shows a pretty constant clock speed of 3ghz, but those other tools were fluctuating a lot between 2800-2850 or so....i might try some o/c later but for now the 3ghz is fine...ive only had the new rig up and running for a week or so now. it sure beats the hell out of my old o/c celeron!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The ASUS software monitors for the 775 boards are very accurate. I usually wouldnt trust monitoring software, but for our boards i do. Have fun with you new system and when you lose your mind and decide to OC look me up. Ive put in many many hours on my ASUS/Intel 550 setup. I think that I have OC'd this thing EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE, and Ill make sure I OC it loose before its over :tongue:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If your still checking this post let me know by replying. I just found some interesting info for you.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Anyway you can take a picture of your BIOS screen - if you have a digital camera. It'll make troubleshooting much easier here.

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">Digital-Music-Guide.com</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium4-6xx.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium4-6xx.html</A>
Check out this review. It may be hard to follow at times but it will tell you alot about your CPU. You will probably have questions after reading it. Feel free to ask away :smile: