Oct 29, 2021
Hi there,

Recently, my laptop has gotten really slow. It would take minutes to start up, minutes to open simple applications include but are not limited to Google Chrome, Discord, and Steam. A lot of freezing happens while using said applications, it becomes really frustrating.

My Specs: View: https://imgur.com/a/r7tYaIU

I tried clearing the temporary files from %appdata% and prefetch, but that hardly made any difference.
I had my power plan set to Power Saver, but when I changed it to High Performance, I did not notice any performance changes.

If you need me to provide any more data, I will be happy to.
I'm no rush for an answer whatsoever, and of course all help is appreciated!

Solution
No downsides to added ram. Check crucial or kingston upgrade apps to get compatible parts. And, you can also clone your hdd to a ssd.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model laptop? Age? Condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Task Manager > Startup: what all is being launched/run at startup? Anything that you do not expect or recognize?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to identify what system/pc resources are being used, what (apps, OS, etc.) are using those resources, and to what extent (%).

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event viewer for error codes, warnings, and informational events that may be being captured.

Oct 29, 2021
Make and model laptop? Age? Condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Task Manager > Startup: what all is being launched/run at startup? Anything that you do not expect or recognize?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to identify what system/pc resources are being used, what (apps, OS, etc.) are using those resources, and to what extent (%).

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History and Event viewer for error codes, warnings, and informational events that may be being captured.

My Laptop's Model: HP Laptop 15-da1xxx

Task Manager > Startup ( Programs being launched): Google Drive, Realtek HD Audio, Windows Security Notifications. I recognize every application.

Task Manager and Resource Monitor: I recognize the applications running and they seem to be running at a normal CPU and Memory Usage.

Disk drive Make: Toshiba
Disk Drive Model: TOSHIBA MQ04ABF100
How full: 391.3GBS out of 931GBS

Informational Events that could be captured: Several Failed Windows Updates

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
My Laptop's Model: HP Laptop 15-da1xxx

Task Manager > Startup ( Programs being launched): Google Drive, Realtek HD Audio, Windows Security Notifications. I recognize every application.

Task Manager and Resource Monitor: I recognize the applications running and they seem to be running at a normal CPU and Memory Usage.

Disk drive Make: Toshiba
Disk Drive Model: TOSHIBA MQ04ABF100
How full: 391.3GBS out of 931GBS

Informational Events that could be captured: Several Failed Windows Updates
An obvious reason why your system is slow is that it is running on a HDD drive. However, it could be because of background programs, drivers that need updates, etc. To greatly increase performance, you could replace the HDD drive with an new SSD drive and install Windows on it using a bootable USB drive.

Oct 29, 2021
What Windows updates failed?

You can find that information via

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > Windows Update > View update history

Update & Security > Windows Update > View Update History shows that all updates starting from 5/25/2021 have been installed successfully while Reliability Monitor shows that these following updates have failed:
*Security Intelligence Update For Microsoft Defender - KB2267602
*9MWPM2CQNLHN-Microsoft,GamingServices

Oct 29, 2021
What might have changed since all was well?
A windows or other update perhaps?
Try using system restore to reset back to when all was well.

Never buy a laptop with a slow 5400 rpm HDD and expect quickness.
You can change it out for a ssd and the difference will be amazing.
Also, Google Chrome is a notable ram hog; you would do well to upgrade to dual channel 16gb.
Sadly, I do not have any restore points created.
Are there any downsides to keep in mind when adding more ram?

Nov 11, 2021
Hi there,

Recently, my laptop has gotten really slow. It would take minutes to start up, minutes to open simple applications include but are not limited to Google Chrome, Discord, and Steam. A lot of freezing happens while using said applications, it becomes really frustrating.

My Specs: View: https://imgur.com/a/r7tYaIU

I tried clearing the temporary files from %appdata% and prefetch, but that hardly made any difference.
I had my power plan set to Power Saver, but when I changed it to High Performance, I did not notice any performance changes.

If you need me to provide any more data, I will be happy to.
I'm no rush for an answer whatsoever, and of course all help is appreciated!
already found your issue, this is your hard drive. MQ04ABF100 Toshiba 1TB/1000GB 5400rpm Sata 7mm 2.5" Hard Drive 128mb, 6 Gbit/s. : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
it's a 5400 RPM drive (which is terrible). you want to upgrade to an SSD, like this one: Crucial MX500 500 GB CT500MX500SSD1-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories as they are much faster and will boot in under at least 30 seconds as it doesn't need to spin up, it can just immediately access the files on it at faster speeds.

Nov 11, 2021
already found your issue, this is your hard drive. MQ04ABF100 Toshiba 1TB/1000GB 5400rpm Sata 7mm 2.5" Hard Drive 128mb, 6 Gbit/s. : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
it's a 5400 RPM drive (which is terrible). you want to upgrade to an SSD, like this one: Crucial MX500 500 GB CT500MX500SSD1-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories as they are much faster and will boot in under at least 30 seconds as it doesn't need to spin up, it can just immediately access the files on it at faster speeds.
oh. and upgrade your ram to 16gb (2x8gb) PLEASE. Samsung 8GB M471A1K43DB1-CTD DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 Laptop Memory : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TRENDING THREADS