Question Paint for CPU and GPU heatsink

Dec 26, 2023
Hi, I was just wondering if the heatsink of a graphics card or processor would be possible, if so please recommend me the paint.
also will it effect the temp?

Ralston18

Titan
No disagreement per se but I am compelled to ask "why the paint"?

What is the benefit or expected benefit?

If painting the heatsinks is just for cosmetic reasons I would not do so. Who knows what the long term end results may be.

Two rules in play:

"Never let form get in the way of function."

"If it ain't broke then don't fix it."

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Reactions: CountMike
Hi, I was just wondering if the heatsink of a graphics card or processor would be possible, if so please recommend me the paint.
Modern GPUs are usually covered by plastic shield, those you can paint as much as you want as well as eventual back plate. That doesn't count for cooling. Use some spray paint made for plastic, for auto interiors for instance.
For air coolers, actually just it's fins, paint may impede cooling somewhat but light paint from a spray paint can should work fine, just don't lay it thick. Spray paint for cars in form of lacquer (Nitro based) should be good. No need for high temperature paint. It can withstand 100c easy, cars can get that hot too in strong sun. if fins on an air cooler get over 50c, you have problem cooler and should upgrade anyway.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023

According to this article, a thin layer of paint won't affect the temp, i.e. it will not have any significant effect on the cooler's performance.

Quote:
https://www.otm.sg/thermal-conductivity-of-thin-materials-paint-coating-metal-sheet
"... the thermal resistance of a 0.2 mm thick paint layer with 0.2 W/(m⋅K) thermal conductivity is only 0.001 (m2K)/W, which is negligible comparing to the thermal resistances of other layers ....

For thin metal sheets, e.g. 0.7 mm thick aluminium plates, the thermal resistance is further smaller, as the thermal conductivity of metal is much larger."

Personally, I'd just buy a black heatsink or a white heatsink and have done with it. Anodized parts for motorbike embellishment are common, but I haven't seen many CPU/GPU heatsinks in pretty colours apart from gold or Cu. Anodizing is preferred over paint, but more expensive.

iu