Nov 13, 2013
Hello

System:
I5 8400
Asus strix b360-h gaming
16gb ram hyperx
Msi 1070ti
1tb hdd
240gb ssd (windows 10 pro version 2004 drive)
80+ gold modular cooler master psu

So recently I connect my external hard drive into my front I/O port. My pc suddenly shuts off automatically and reboots by itself again. I just let it reboot and I was still able to access my file on my harddrive without problem.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the front i/o ports. So i tried connecting another hard drive to the motherboard’s usb port. Same thing happened!

But USB like keyboard and mousedid not cause the pc to shut off and reboot.

So i noticed that using external hard drives and also connecting my Focusrite 2i4 interface will cause the pc to shutoff and reboots.

So this are all the troubleshooting i did,
Removing my internal harddrive, ssd, removing the power of my gpu(but gpu still connected to the motherboard).

Even tried to swap PSU but after swapping psu. ,couldnt even turn the pc on. I dont know why that happen but I just swap the PSU and not the cables. But after swapping back the PSU it turns on.

So i dont know what could be the problem here. Brought it to a service centre and they told me it was just a software issue or virus. Reformat my pc and updating bios did nothing.

So could this be a psu or motherboard issue?! I was still able to game without any fps drops or lags. Everything is smooth.

thanks

Solution
I have the CoolerMaster MWE 650w Full Modular Gold.
That is a decent power supply so I would be surprised if it has failed and somehow caused this issue.
Also i noticed my HDD activity is always blinking "red" . It's usually blinking "blue" and never "red". Checked my ssd and hdd, everything is idle.
I've not used a HDD for a few years but I thought the activity LED is just one colour usually.

Shutting off and rebooting kind of sounds like you have a short somewhere when you connect the drive, although I'm not sure how that would work.

customman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013
Try using a powered usb hub to connect your devices

Ok, So before I go and get a powered usb hub, I found one USB Hub 3.0 (unpowered) and tried connecting it without any devices connecting to the hub... When i boot up the pc. the pc keeps shutting off and reboots all the time when the hub is connected. So does this mean my PSU faulty ?! Hmmm

Ok, So before I go and get a powered usb hub, I found one USB Hub 3.0 (unpowered) and tried connecting it without any devices connecting to the hub... When i boot up the pc. the pc keeps shutting off and reboots all the time when the hub is connected. So does this mean my PSU faulty ?! Hmmm
I don't know maybe I guess. It could mean the USB hub is faulty also. Which power supply do you have?

customman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2013
I don't know maybe I guess. It could mean the USB hub is faulty also. Which power supply do you have?

I can guarantee the usb hub is working perfectly. I tried it on another pc. It did not shut down like how my PC behave.

Last edited:
That is a decent power supply so I would be surprised if it has failed and somehow caused this issue.
Also i noticed my HDD activity is always blinking "red" . It's usually blinking "blue" and never "red". Checked my ssd and hdd, everything is idle.
I've not used a HDD for a few years but I thought the activity LED is just one colour usually.

Shutting off and rebooting kind of sounds like you have a short somewhere when you connect the drive, although I'm not sure how that would work.

Solution