Question PC Black screen crashes GPU fans go crazy

samsungpos

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
Hi,

Occasionally (and seemingly at random) my PC crashes whilst gaming. What happens is my screen goes black, the GPU fans spin up like crazy (very noisy) and I seemingly can't do anything to get out of it except hold the power button to hard turn off the PC. Usually I can still hear game sound whilst this is happening though.

The games in which it happens seem to be World Of Tanks and War Thunder. The tech support from both of them have basically said: "problem is yours, deal with it". It also seems to happen more often on alt-tabbing in and out of games although it can also happen on entering a battle and whilst just clicking through the garage.

It can happen several times in one day and then not happen for weeks with the same use.

NVIDIA have also looked at a CPU-Z log file and said "we cant see anything there so good luck!"

My PC:
CPU = Intel i7 4790k (not overclocked)
GPU = KFA2 RTX 2070 Super EX 1CLICK-OC 8192MB GDDR6 (again not Overclocked)
RAM = 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LP RAM in two 8Gb sticks at 1600MHz
PSU = Corsair SF750W
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA H81M-S2H
Monitor = Samsung CF791 34" ultrawide
OS = Windows 10
Sound = SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC (USB hardwired)

I keep windows and my the GPU drivers up to date (using windows update and NVIDIA GeForce Experience).
I think the motherboard bios is up to date and I think all the other drivers are up to date.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this crash or how to find out?

samsungpos

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
use the nvidia driver first and do not mix them with os ones could you try another gpu in system to see if it does the same even a old one .
I've disabled the "Intel HD graphics" driver from the CPU and it still happens.

I didn't get the problem before upgrading to the RTX 2070S from a GTX 960 but I've sent the GPU back for testing and apparently they couldn't reproduce the issue.

samsungpos

Reputable
Dec 2, 2018
did look at your motherboard specs suspecting she could not handle the power needed for this gpu see if you could have this gpu test on a more powerfull board .

I don't know how I'd check that but it's definitely possible.

sadly I don't have a more powerful motherboard but the company I bought the GPU from (Overclockers UK) said they couldn't reproduce the problem with a week of 24 hours a day use.

How could I check the capability of the motherboard?