Jan 16, 2023
I'm at a complete loss, I've tried everything under the sun to try and fix this issue.

I bought this pc from ibuypower (I know) and after a few months it started crashing my games, so I sent it back not once, but twice, for the same issue. The first time they said they replaced the motherboard, the second time we replaced the GPU. Fast forward a few months later again.. the issue has started happening again. The crashes are extremely random, mostly while I was streaming it would crash my game & opera, but OBS wouldn't crash? So I thought maybe it's a memory issue since that's the one thing we haven't tested and I upgraded my memory, making sure it is recommended with my motherboard. First day with new memory in, I have opera & Discord open on one monitor and Adobe premiere open on another, the screen with Adobe Premiere blue screens and my PC restarts. Well I went to go check the minidump files for the crash, so I had to download the program from the windows store to read it, but I get an error on the windows store that says "something stopped working" and it won't let me open the screen to download it, this error also displayed when I had a video open. All of my errors in event viewer and the minidump files seem to be different every time so none of the errors really make sense.

Additional information: My second monitor almost always artifacts while the pc is starting up, I've never thought much of it because the monitor works while using the pc, but I did have problems in the past where the monitor would turn black and wouldn't let me use it, but it also happened with different monitor. This monitor is plugged in via display port because my PC doesn't have a second HDMI port & my first monitor can only be plugged in with HDMI. I have a dual monitor set up and have never had issues with the other monitor that is plugged via HDMI.

I ran memtests on my old memory, which came back with a reasonable amount of errors, so I bought new RAM the next day and put it in my PC, ran the test and it came back with so many errors it crashed the program (6000+) so I reseated it, thinking it probably was just not in all the way or something, and it came back with no errors. Then I tested the other RAM sticks again and they came back with no errors. All individual sticks tested without errors.

I've previously reinstalled windows multiple times with this problem, it never fixes it. The first time the problem occurred was on windows 11 and now it's occurring on windows 10 because I never updated to 11 this time around. After sending in the pc for repairs, it works for a few months and then the problem starts again, which makes me think it's something I'm doing? I have no idea. I'm so lost

I have also upgraded my power supply to 850W in the past

URLs to minidumps:
First
Second
BSOD
Shut Down a few hours after BSOD

And here are my specs: System: Intel® Core™ i7-11700KF Processor (8X 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache) | Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black | Memory: 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module | Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 - 12GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready) | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z590-UD WiFi AC , ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 4 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3) | Power Supply: 750 Watt - HIGH POWER 80 PLUS Gold | Primary Storage: 512GB | Secondary Storage: 1TB

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
You need to be careful installing RAM and make sure it clicks into place fully. If it not it could work but become loose. You never want the RAM sticks to pop out of the DIMM slots. Also 100% never push the RAM back into the motherboard DIMM slot if the PC is powered on and I mean you need to unplug it from the wall and make sure all the lights are off on the motherboard. What you are stating all implies memory issues.

If you have to reset the DIMMs in there slots and they keep working loose then there could be an issue with the DIMM slots on the motherboard. At this point I am unsure what the problem is and wouldn't make a conclusion. Just putting some ideas out there.

Reactions: Ragnarok17
Jan 16, 2023
You need to be careful installing RAM and make sure it clicks into place fully. If it not it could work but become loose. You never want the RAM sticks to pop out of the DIMM slots. Also 100% never push the RAM back into the motherboard DIMM slot if the PC is powered on and I mean you need to unplug it from the wall and make sure all the lights are off on the motherboard. What you are stating all implies memory issues.

If you have to reset the DIMMs in there slots and they keep working loose then there could be an issue with the DIMM slots on the motherboard. At this point I am unsure what the problem is and wouldn't make a conclusion. Just putting some ideas out there.

Thank you so much for the response, yes I made sure I fully turned it off, unplugged it, and made sure there was no static charge. The other thing is, I tested a stick in all of the memory slots individually that I was using and none of them came up with memory issues either. Thanks again for the response

Oh man, i feel for you! I've had issues like yours, where you think you fixed the bug, then it comes back for no reason several months later. it's so frustrating.

Update: Are the issues happening with the memory running at the normal non-XMP speeds, or is this happening with XMP enabled?

I suspect this could be a power supply problem or a BIOS issue. But before diving into the PSU, can you ensure you are on the latest UEFI (BIOS) version for your specific motherboard? Updates can solve critical issues, including memory compatibility and reliability.

Next, if that doesn't work, is there a chance you have another power supply you can use?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Jan 16, 2023
Oh man, i feel for you! I've had issues like yours, where you think you fixed the bug, then it comes back for no reason several months later. it's so frustrating.

Update: Are the issues happening with the memory running at the normal non-XMP speeds, or is this happening with XMP enabled?

I suspect this could be a power supply problem or a BIOS issue. But before diving into the PSU, can you ensure you are on the latest UEFI (BIOS) version for your specific motherboard? Updates can solve critical issues, including memory compatibility and reliability.

Next, if that doesn't work, is there a chance you have another power supply you can use?
Thanks for the response, going to update bios tonight, its on a version from january of last year, I'll update you when I get back. I turned off XMP and so far no crashing, but my frames in games are a bit buggy, I have to cap them at 200 despite getting 244 easily before. So going to try the bios update tonight and see what happens, wish me luck!

Thanks for the response, going to update bios tonight, its on a version from january of last year, I'll update you when I get back. I turned off XMP and so far no crashing, but my frames in games are a bit buggy, I have to cap them at 200 despite getting 244 easily before. So going to try the bios update tonight and see what happens, wish me luck!

Ok cool, hope the BIOS update fixes it.

If you're still having issues with XMP enabled, that means the memory is probably unstable. Meaning the CPU's memory controller can't handle the higher speeds, because XMP is a overclock only certified to run on the memory alone. But 3200MHz should be very easy for that chip to handle.

Which version of memtest did you use? if you're using standard memtest, that won't catch all the errors. Memtest HCI is the one I personally use, and its superior for ironing out full memory stability.

zx128k

Reputable
Be careful updating the bios, if your motherboard has a flashing function that does not need the system to boot into BIOS. Then use that. If not restart the bios to default and flash from the bios only if you are sure the system is stable.