UmidD

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
Hello!

I have this issue, that when I leave my PC on idle, or even if I put it to sleep, after a while, I always get a BSOD that goes by so fast that I can't even note the error code to try and troubleshoot what exactly went wrong. I tend to game on it heavily, and when I do, I don't really encounter this issue. The BSOD usually comes up when the PC is idle, or when I'm doing something on the desktop.

I have tried to use WinDbg x86 to try and pinpoint the cause of the crashes lately, and the strange thing, is that it never records the instances of BSOD if it happens when the computer is idle. Simultaneously, I was dealing with another weird issue that occasionally gave me a BSOD a few minutes after the PC booted. I later found out that it had to do with IOMap64.sys, which I pinned it down to being an ASUS software issue. I managed to fix that yesterday by uninstalling all ASUS software (things like GPU Tweak, Armoury Crate, etc), and since then I hadn't received any crashes related to ASUS. I know this, because crashes due to ASUS software were actually recorded in the MEMORY.DMP file, whereas BSOD when PC was idle never gets recorded.

If it helps, in middle of July, I've installed a new Corsair AIO, new RAM and a new M.2 SSD (Samsung 970 Pro)
So here is the thing. When I get a BSOD due to the PC being idle or in "sleep mode", it automatically attempts to reboot the system, and every single time that it does so on its own, it boots me straight into BIOS. In BIOS, upon further inspection, it does not show any drives whatsoever in the "boot list" section. If I turn CSM on in BIOS, and I get an idle BSOD, instead of booting into BIOS like it usually does, it shows a black screen with a message (error: no such partition. Entering rescue mode... grub rescue>_). However, if I manage to press F2 after it crashes to get into BIOS manually before I get the GRUB LOADER black screen, it'll take me to BIOS, and now with CSM on, I will be able to see both my hard drive, and my SATA drive, however it still does not show my M.2 SSD (the drive that I have the Windows partition on). The only thing that fixed this issue with both CSM on and CSM off, is to perform a hard shutdown by holding the power button, waiting for 30 seconds, and then turning it back on. If I perform a hard shutdown, and attempt to turn it on immediately after, it still takes me to BIOS. The only fix for me right now, is a hard shutdown, waiting 30 seconds and pushing the power button back on, upon which the system will recognize my SSD and boot properly.

Here is my PC build.

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus Xi Code LGA1151
CPU: i9 9900K 3.6 ghz (with Turbo Boost enabled)
GPU: ASUS STRIX RTX2080ti
Drives: SATA Samsung 860 EVO, SATA III 7200RPM HDD, M.2 SSD Samsung 970 PRO
PSU: EVGA GOLD PSU 750 watt G3
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i PRO RGB AIO
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64 GB (2x32) DDR4 3600

Here is the list of things I tried to fix the problem so far:

1. I ran "sfc /scannow" in the CMD. The output told me that it found corrupted files and was able to fix them. This did not stop the crashes.
  2. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic in "Standard" mode. In the results, I got the message "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors"
  3. I tried assigning custom paging file size for my Windows boot drive (M.2 SSD) [Initial Size: 65536 MB || Maximum Size: 98304 MB]. My other drives have no paging file.
  4. I have X.M.P enabled, so I tried changing XMP1 to XMP2 in BIOS settings.

Here is the screenshot of my BlueScreenView attached for reference: View: https://imgur.com/a/JymIbLZ

Here is the link to my MEMORY.DMP. I uploaded it to a google drive, since the file size is about 1600 MB: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FmatWGdY1rzu5RBgcw0DDwZYa5I_r0ae/view?usp=sharing

Any help would be appreciated, since these blue screens have been hounding me for over two weeks now.
Thank you in advance,
- UD

Solution
I found out the issue was my NVMe drive. The Samsung 970 Pro 1TB apparently got corrupted at some time between beginning (date of purchase) and end of July. I deduced this, when I completely wiped all my drives, and reinstalled Windows on my NVMe, and was still getting blue screen issues, as well as issues booting into a clean installation of Windows after the blue screen. I already RMA'ed the NVMe drive, and have windows installed on my SATA 860 EVO. That is now two full days without a single BSOD.

I don't think this is gonna be a general solution for everyone, but if one thing I'm sure of, is that WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR definitely has something to do with faulty hardware, or corrupted registry/windows files. I suggest tracking back...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Blue Screen View may have done this already but
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

600mb is a big file for one of my friends to download, his internet isn't the fastest. But minidumps are only a few MB and much easier to look at. WIll contain essentially the same info.

Reactions: UmidD

UmidD

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
Blue Screen View may have done this already but
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

600mb is a big file for one of my friends to download, his internet isn't the fastest. But minidumps are only a few MB and much easier to look at. WIll contain essentially the same info.
I have followed the steps in Option 1 in the link you provided. I will now go grab some tea while I wait for the machine to BSOD.

UmidD

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
friend who needs to check dumps is asleep, take your time. He shouldn't answer for another 6 hours at least,.

There are others who can read them.
Okay, so I managed to get the system to BSOD into BIOS again. Here is the mini dump file, which I uploaded to my google drive. This is obviously a different link from the one I put in the original thread: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n1TVMX4s6xm9KflbMm0dRv7ni0E2pEIa/view?usp=sharing

Although I find it odd that the name of the file begins with "080920" since today's date is 8/11/2020

Here is another thing. I left my iPhone to record the screen to try and catch the blue screen message, which it did, and I was able to screenshot the small instance to actually see the error code. It reads " Stopcode: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR"

After some pre-emptive looking, I see that the error code is related to hardware issues, however, during and even out of gaming, I tend to run HWMonitor in the background, regularly checking component temperatures. TLDR, my CPU cores never go above 80 c under load, and my GPU max temp is around 83 C, under load.

Also, I forgot to mention this in original thread - my BIOS has the latest update.

Last edited:
As a starting point I would recommend unplugging and reseating your gpu, memory, and hard drives including the m.2 drive...if you have spare cables swap them out for your sata drives. Also unplug and re-plug all power connectors on everything.

After reseating and re-plugging everything run memory test for a couple hours to see if your memory is stable.

If you still get BSOD issues after passing mem test then try disabling power down or sleep mode for the hard drives in the Windows power plan settings...if the BSOD stops at least you'll know it's one of your hard drives.

If reseating your hardware, mem test is good, and changing the power plan sleep options don't resolve the issue then I would pull the cpu and re-seat it as well.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/7sejH2RG

File information:080920-9234-01.dmp (Aug 9 2020 - 02:42:03)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for IOMap64.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ROGLiveService.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

Comment: The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-CODE/
You have the latest BIOS already installed, version 1502.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

UmidD

Prominent
Mar 28, 2019
I found out the issue was my NVMe drive. The Samsung 970 Pro 1TB apparently got corrupted at some time between beginning (date of purchase) and end of July. I deduced this, when I completely wiped all my drives, and reinstalled Windows on my NVMe, and was still getting blue screen issues, as well as issues booting into a clean installation of Windows after the blue screen. I already RMA'ed the NVMe drive, and have windows installed on my SATA 860 EVO. That is now two full days without a single BSOD.

I don't think this is gonna be a general solution for everyone, but if one thing I'm sure of, is that WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR definitely has something to do with faulty hardware, or corrupted registry/windows files. I suggest tracking back to when the issue started, and deduce whether it happened as a result of hardware change, or corrupted software.

Thank you for all your time and replies everyone!

Reactions: gardenman
Solution