Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2022
I recently won a 3070 ti from the newegg shuffle, and I was very excited to install it into my computer. When it arrived, I installed it and the drivers onto my computer (I did make sure to clip on an anti-shock bracelet onto myself and the computer) and it started up perfectly fine. Everything was hooked in right, and there is no physical damage done to it. As a desktop, it works perfectly fine and handles the average google tabs and daily tasks with no problem. Until I start the games and a little bit more graphics-heavy applications. I've been experiencing my computer crashing multiple times at random when playing these games (Forza Horizon 4, Call of Duty Warzones, Dirt Rally 2.0, etc.). At 1080p, I would run the games at high settings, which shouldn't be too much of a challenge for the 3070 ti. Apparently not. I've experienced upwards of 6 crashes every time I play these games, with the crashes happening at random points in the game. I use the task manager constantly to observe how hard my computer is working throughout these gameplays, and it does not show to be working incredibly hard, nor does it get dangerously hot. Ever since I have been running games at medium to low settings at 1080p, and although I experience less crashing, I'm still getting 1-3 crashes for attempts at playing a game. At 1080p at medium to low graphics settings, this seems mildly concerning since I can't find anything that would be the source of the problem. Would anyone be able to give any advice?

System Specifications:
-CPU: Intel core i9 11900k (not overclocked)
-MOBO: MSI z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
-RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600mhz c16
-GPU: Asus Tuf Gaming OC 3070 ti (not overclocked)
-PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850W 80+ Gold
-SSHD: Seagate Firecuda SSHD 2tb
-SSD: SK hynix 1tb 2280 m.2 SSD

I recently won a 3070 ti from the newegg shuffle, and I was very excited to install it into my computer. When it arrived, I installed it and the drivers onto my computer (I did make sure to clip on an anti-shock bracelet onto myself and the computer) and it started up perfectly fine. Everything was hooked in right, and there is no physical damage done to it. As a desktop, it works perfectly fine and handles the average google tabs and daily tasks with no problem. Until I start the games and a little bit more graphics-heavy applications. I've been experiencing my computer crashing multiple times at random when playing these games (Forza Horizon 4, Call of Duty Warzones, Dirt Rally 2.0, etc.). At 1080p, I would run the games at high settings, which shouldn't be too much of a challenge for the 3070 ti. Apparently not. I've experienced upwards of 6 crashes every time I play these games, with the crashes happening at random points in the game. I use the task manager constantly to observe how hard my computer is working throughout these gameplays, and it does not show to be working incredibly hard, nor does it get dangerously hot. Ever since I have been running games at medium to low settings at 1080p, and although I experience less crashing, I'm still getting 1-3 crashes for attempts at playing a game. At 1080p at medium to low graphics settings, this seems mildly concerning since I can't find anything that would be the source of the problem. Would anyone be able to give any advice?

System Specifications:
-CPU: Intel core i9 11900k (not overclocked)
-MOBO: MSI z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
-RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600mhz c16
-GPU: Asus Tuf Gaming OC 3070 ti (not overclocked)
-PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-850W 80+ Gold
-SSHD: Seagate Firecuda SSHD 2tb
-SSD: SK hynix 1tb 2280 m.2 SSD

First question - what was your old GPU that you replaced? It could be issues relating to remnants of old drivers, this is a particular issue if you have switched manufacturers (i.e. if your previous card was AMD). I would suggest doing a full clean install of the drivers to be sure, you can use the 'DDU' tool to fully remove the old drivers, then download and install the latest driver pack direct from nVidia. Link to DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

The other thing that can cause this type of issue is if the power supply isn't up to it, the RTX 3000 series cards do need pretty hefty power supplies, although you do have a good quality 850W PSU there so I would have thought that would be enough. I would try doing a clean driver install first, if that doesn't work, take a look at the windows event viewer after a crash and look for any critical errors as this might give a bit of insight as to what is going wrong.

Reactions: KyaraM
Jan 31, 2022
First question - what was your old GPU that you replaced? It could be issues relating to remnants of old drivers, this is a particular issue if you have switched manufacturers (i.e. if your previous card was AMD). I would suggest doing a full clean install of the drivers to be sure, you can use the 'DDU' tool to fully remove the old drivers, then download and install the latest driver pack direct from nVidia. Link to DDU: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

The other thing that can cause this type of issue is if the power supply isn't up to it, the RTX 3000 series cards do need pretty hefty power supplies, although you do have a good quality 850W PSU there so I would have thought that would be enough. I would try doing a clean driver install first, if that doesn't work, take a look at the windows event viewer after a crash and look for any critical errors as this might give a bit of insight as to what is going wrong.
Thanks for your feedback. Previous to the new gpu, I did not have any kind of gpu whatsoever. I was using the integrated graphics in the 11900k, so this is the first gpu for the computer. Next time it crahses, I will make sure to look at the event viewer and possibly a diagnostic test. My other thought is that it could be that my bios needs an update, considering is is a pcie 3.0 with a 4.0 gpu, but I will have to make sure.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for your feedback. Previous to the new gpu, I did not have any kind of gpu whatsoever. I was using the integrated graphics in the 11900k, so this is the first gpu for the computer. Next time it crahses, I will make sure to look at the event viewer and possibly a diagnostic test. My other thought is that it could be that my bios needs an update, considering is is a pcie 3.0 with a 4.0 gpu, but I will have to make sure.
Are you using 2 separate cables form the PSU to the card, not the split cables from one.

Jan 31, 2022
I'm pretty sure I only have one cable from the PSU that splits to the gpu. I'm pretty sure that's the right way to do it though, since if I were to plug in separate cables, it would increase the power draw, since it would be pulling power individually from each cable.

drijakralj002

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
I'm pretty sure I only have one cable from the PSU that splits to the gpu. I'm pretty sure that's the right way to do it though, since if I were to plug in separate cables, it would increase the power draw, since it would be pulling power individually from each cable.
You should try it with 2 different cables heard it million times that if you have more power hungry GPU you should use 2 different ones, and its "easy" fix

Jan 31, 2022
It has been a little bit over a month, and "giving it" another cable from the psu seemed to help (it'd crash less frequently), but it still crashes a ton. I recently got a riser cable for a vertical mount, but it still crashes very frequently (the same amount as before the riser cable). Every time I boot it up, there's an error LED on the "EZ debug LED panel" on my motherboard. It just tells me if there's something wrong with a component in the system on boot. Every time I boot it up though, the LED for the VGA comes up. In the user manual of the mobo, its meaning is "indicates GPU is not detected or fail". It'll show this for about 30 seconds, then it'll proceed to get to the login screen, which takes much longer than usual. Sometimes, it'll crash and randomly reboot before I even get to the login screen, other times it'll let me proceed to the home screen. Even if I get to the homescreen, it'll crash at random even if I'm not doing anything/leaving it idle. I was somehow able to download 3DMark, and I hoped to run a stress test and a diagnostic check on it, but every time I start one, the computer will crash before it even starts. Every single time. I don't have another gpu on hand, so I'm not able to troubleshoot and find out if its a motherboard PCIe problem, or just the graphics card. Any ideas?

Jan 31, 2022
It has been a little bit over a month, and "giving it" another cable from the psu seemed to help (it'd crash less frequently), but it still crashes a ton. I recently got a riser cable for a vertical mount, but it still crashes very frequently (the same amount as before the riser cable). Every time I boot it up, there's an error LED on the "EZ debug LED panel" on my motherboard. It just tells me if there's something wrong with a component in the system on boot. Every time I boot it up though, the LED for the VGA comes up. In the user manual of the mobo, its meaning is "indicates GPU is not detected or fail". It'll show this for about 30 seconds, then it'll proceed to get to the login screen, which takes much longer than usual. Sometimes, it'll crash and randomly reboot before I even get to the login screen, other times it'll let me proceed to the home screen. Even if I get to the homescreen, it'll crash at random even if I'm not doing anything/leaving it idle. I was somehow able to download 3DMark, and I hoped to run a stress test and a diagnostic check on it, but every time I start one, the computer will crash before it even starts. Every single time. I don't have another gpu on hand, so I'm not able to troubleshoot and find out if its a motherboard PCIe problem, or just the graphics card. Any ideas?
It's as if every time the gpu is put under stress/power is required, it like overrides the whole system or something goes wrong and it crashes. The motherboard is a PCIe 3.0 and the gpu is 4.0, but I don't think that's it since I've seen many others do this same 3.0/4.0 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS