Question PC crashing while gaming with black screen with clean OS, 2 different GPUs

NavelFluff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2015
So I try to be as short as possible

Specs:
Mobo: AsRock B550m Pro4
CPU: Ryzen R7 3700X, stock settings
GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX 6600 XT, stock settings
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8Gb 3200MHz (running at that speed)
PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W 80+ Gold
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2

Story: I had this setup since last year September, everything was working fine, until the new AMD drivers came around in March, 2022. After that, I constantly had driver timeouts with numerous games, this meant game crashes(but not system crash) all of the sudden, then, even after a fresh restart, Radeon Software would not work properly with any title, or even in the background(no screenshot, etc). Temperatures were completely in check, 60-65 C on GPU and 65-70 C on CPU. Every other driver up to date.
So I reverted back to the previous driver, 22.1.2, I think, with that everything worked fine ( didn't play any new games that needed the new drivers).

Then for summer I was abroad, didn't use my PC at all.

Up until now. Modern Warfare II beta came, which meant I MUST use the newest drivers, which, of course resulted in driver timeouts. I also bought Cyberpunk 2077, and in both titles, I tried BOTH the new and the old driver(MWII beta didn't even start with the old one, of course), and I still got driver timeouts with game crashes. I thought the problem was the damn AMD drivers, for sure.
Had numerous DDUs and driver tries, no luck, had a fresh OS, Windows 10 install, didn't help.

So I bought an RTX 3070, just 2 days ago (I was also thinking of upgrading a bit, for 1440p, perhaps). I was happy, Nvidia drivers must be better, right? Well, maybe, but now I had SYSTEM crashes (game would stop, black screen, I would hear the sound of the game for 15 secs maybe, then system restart) after about 15 minutes of gaming with both titles(MWII beta and CP2077) and many more, Apex Legend, for example.
Tried an older driver for this Nvidia card, also. Still crashing.
I monitored temps, everything was perfectly fine.
Tried Memtest86, RAM was also perfectly fine.

So just today I tried installing Windows 11, AND unplugged every other drive, every other peripherals just to make a fine, clean test environment to bug out the error. First I tried MWII beta, it was going for 1 hour, perfectly fine.
But CP2077 only fared again, the usual 10-15-20 minutes, then black screen, system restart.

Event viewer doesn't show up anything strange, or for my eyes, at least.

At this point, as I read through a lot of forums, I have no idea where to resume my search for this annoying problem.

So, in total I tried:
-changing GPU
-memtest86
-clean win10
-clean win11
-removing everything except necessary
-using stock clock on CPU, GPU and RAM(never overclocked, except XMP profile)
-limiting GPU power usage
-uncapping FPS in games
-cleaning the PCiE lane
-sacrificing my sanity to the God of PCs

PSU, maybe?? whaddayathink

Last edited:
So I try to be as short as possible

Specs:
Mobo: AsRock B550m Pro4
CPU: Ryzen R7 3700X, stock settings
GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX 6600 XT, stock settings
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 2x8Gb 3200MHz (running at that speed)
PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W 80+ Gold
SSD: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2

Story: I had this setup since last year September, everything was working fine, until the new AMD drivers came around in March, 2022. After that, I constantly had driver timeouts with numerous games, this meant game crashes(but not system crash) all of the sudden, then, even after a fresh restart, Radeon Software would not work properly with any title, or even in the background(no screenshot, etc). Temperatures were completely in check, 60-65 C on GPU and 65-70 C on CPU. Every other driver up to date.
So I reverted back to the previous driver, 22.1.2, I think, with that everything worked fine ( didn't play any new games that needed the new drivers).

Then for summer I was abroad, didn't use my PC at all.

Up until now. Modern Warfare II beta came, which meant I MUST use the newest drivers, which, of course resulted in driver timeouts. I also bought Cyberpunk 2077, and in both titles, I tried BOTH the new and the old driver(MWII beta didn't even start with the old one, of course), and I still got driver timeouts with game crashes. I thought the problem was the damn AMD drivers, for sure.
Had numerous DDUs and driver tries, no luck, had a fresh OS, Windows 10 install, didn't help.

So I bought an RTX 3070, just 2 days ago (I was also thinking of upgrading a bit, for 1440p, perhaps). I was happy, Nvidia drivers must be better, right? Well, maybe, but now I had SYSTEM crashes (game would stop, black screen, I would hear the sound of the game for 15 secs maybe, then system restart) after about 15 minutes of gaming with both titles(MWII beta and CP2077) and many more, Apex Legend, for example.
Tried an older driver for this Nvidia card, also. Still crashing.
I monitored temps, everything was perfectly fine.
Tried Memtest86, RAM was also perfectly fine.

So just today I tried installing Windows 11, AND unplugged every other drive, every other peripherals just to make a fine, clean test environment to bug out the error. First I tried MWII beta, it was going for 1 hour, perfectly fine.
But CP2077 only fared again, the usual 10-15-20 minutes, then black screen, system restart.

Event viewer doesn't show up anything strange, or for my eyes, at least.

At this point, as I read through a lot of forums, I have no idea where to resume my search for this annoying problem.

So, in total I tried:
-changing GPU
-memtest86
-clean win10
-clean win11
-removing everything except necessary
-using stock clock on CPU, GPU and RAM(never overclocked, except XMP profile)
-limiting GPU power usage
-uncapping FPS in games
-cleaning the PCiE lane
-sacrificing my sanity to the God of PCs

PSU, maybe?? whaddayathink
I think you might want to invest in a quality 750w psu.

Reactions: NavelFluff

NavelFluff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2015
I think you might want to invest in a quality 750w psu.
yeah that would be my next step, BUT this 600W be quiet psu should be more than plenty for the 6600 XT and the setup... not that much wattage, but according to a psu tier list, it is not the best, but a quality one
but still, I have no other idea, just that the psu is not "enough" or not working properly, so I may have to agree
If you calculate everything in my system(all 3 fans, all drives and stuff) it is still below 500W