Question PC Failing to Boot After Being Off for a While

Jul 14, 2024
I’m having a boot problem with my PC. Every time I try to turn it on in the morning or after it has been off for a while (at least an hour), it gets stuck on one of the four error LEDs (usually BOOT or VGA). Sometimes, after a while, it turns on and Windows loads, but without keyboard, mouse, or internet. However, most of the time I need to restart it 1 or 2 times to get it to boot (sometimes it also boots without keyboard, mouse, or internet).

Once it’s up and running, it works normally without any errors. If I restart or turn it off and on again right after, everything works fine.

I have already formatted the SSD, checked for issues and everything seems to be okay. I cleared the CMOS, updated the BIOS, disassembled and reassembled all the components, cleaned the memory, checked cables, etc. Nothing has resolved the issue. I’ve done numerous stress tests and they have all gone very well.

What could it be? Power supply? Motherboard? I can’t find a solution anywhere.

Specs:
  • Ryzen 5600G
  • B450 Aorus M Gigabyte (BIOS F67b)
  • Redragon 500W 80 Plus Gold
  • RTX 3060
  • 2x 8GB Geil 3200
  • 256GB NVMe SSD

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CMOS battery may be bad. That would explain it 'forgetting' how to boot after being off for long periods.

Not sure I have ever heard of a Red Dragon PSU. Been a while since I have seen a 500W PSU too.

The rest of your troubleshooting is spot on. Intermittent motherboard failure is tricky to troubleshoot without known good parts to test with.

Reactions: stonecarver
I’m having a boot problem with my PC. Every time I try to turn it on in the morning or after it has been off for a while (at least an hour), it gets stuck on one of the four error LEDs (usually BOOT or VGA). Sometimes, after a while, it turns on and Windows loads, but without keyboard, mouse, or internet. However, most of the time I need to restart it 1 or 2 times to get it to boot (sometimes it also boots without keyboard, mouse, or internet).

Once it’s up and running, it works normally without any errors. If I restart or turn it off and on again right after, everything works fine.

I have already formatted the SSD, checked for issues and everything seems to be okay. I cleared the CMOS, updated the BIOS, disassembled and reassembled all the components, cleaned the memory, checked cables, etc. Nothing has resolved the issue. I’ve done numerous stress tests and they have all gone very well.

What could it be? Power supply? Motherboard? I can’t find a solution anywhere.

Specs:
  • Ryzen 5600G
  • B450 Aorus M Gigabyte (BIOS F67b)
  • Redragon 500W 80 Plus Gold
  • RTX 3060
  • 2x 8GB Geil 3200
  • 256GB NVMe SSD
Remove the gpu and connect to the igp.....test.

Jul 14, 2024
CMOS battery may be bad. That would explain it 'forgetting' how to boot after being off for long periods.

Not sure I have ever heard of a Red Dragon PSU. Been a while since I have seen a 500W PSU too.

The rest of your troubleshooting is spot on. Intermittent motherboard failure is tricky to troubleshoot without known good parts to test with.
I bought a new one and replaced it. Same symptoms.

I'll try to get another PSU to test and see if the error persists. I'm guessing that not enough power is getting into these first boots, but that's just a guess.