[SOLVED] PC freezing only in games needs hard reset

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
This started when i was playing apex a few days ago. At random my pc would just totally freeze up, so I got msi afterburner to check the specs while i played(Will attach image of specs when it froze). I thought that my gpu was overheating but it froze at 77c so couldn't be that, however after i did some testing with other games it seemed to be a problem there as well, like Hell let loose and kingdomcom delivereance, it is very inconsistent though, sometimes it will happen a few minitunes into the games, other times it wont happen at all. But lighter games as factorio i have had no crashes with, seems like heavier game it crashes on.
I have not overclocked the cpu or gpu.

So what ive done up until now that i have tried:

• Updated to latest windows 10 build 21h1 19043.1110
  • Tried multiple nvidia drivers, clean installed with safe boot and DDU
  • Deleted %temp% files
  • sfc/SCANNOW
  • Low ingame graphics, and windowed mode.
  • caped fps to 60
  • Furmark to stresstest GPU, lowerd fan speed had it at max 87c with no problem. Also ran it for 1 hour + with no problems
  • Nvidia control panel set power management to max
  • Also here is the Event viewer system file

• System Information
  • Time of this report: 7/21/2021, 12:35:43
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
  • Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
  • System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
  • System Model: System Product Name
  • BIOS: 2606 (type: UEFI)
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
  • Memory: 32768MB RAM
  • Available OS Memory: 32680MB RAM
  • Page File: 29115MB used, 8428MB available
  • Windows Dir: C:\Windows
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  • DX Setup Parameters: Not found
  • User DPI Setting: 216 DPI (225 percent)
  • System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
  • DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
  • Miracast: Available, with HDCP
  • Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
  • DirectX Database Version: Unknown
  • DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.1500 64bit Unicode

3R5H1wt.jpeg

NZPKADw.jpeg

Solution
PSU is a Corsair TX750M that i got in 2018. The cable to the gtx 1080ti is one single cable that splits into 8 and 6 pin connector. No adapter

However from when i started to write the post, im still running furmark with the fan speeds reset to default though sitting now at 77c 265watts. Wouldnt that cause a crash too now if it was power issue?
not entirely, games are different from stress test, it can spike from 0 to 300 wats like nothing
try two separate cables first
if it freezes during heavy power load (gaming), then id check your power delivery (PSU unit) first.
brand, model and how old your PSU is? any psu adapters used? what is your GPU? if your GPU is using two power connectors, are they conneted from single cable or you using two separate cables?

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
if it freezes during heavy power load (gaming), then id check your power delivery (PSU unit) first.
brand, model and how old your PSU is? any psu adapters used? what is your GPU? if your GPU is using two power connectors, are they conneted from single cable or you using two separate cables?

PSU is a Corsair TX750M that i got in 2018. The cable to the gtx 1080ti is one single cable that splits into 8 and 6 pin connector. No adapter

However from when i started to write the post, im still running furmark now 2+ hours in with the fan speeds reset to default though sitting now at 77c 265watts. Wouldnt that cause a crash too now if it was power issue?

However from when i started to write the post, im still running furmark with the fan speeds reset to default though sitting now at 77c 265watts. Wouldnt that cause a crash too now if it was power issue?
not entirely, games are different from stress test, it can spike from 0 to 300 wats like nothing

Solution

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
i see, okay will try it now.

Also when were talking about power, i forgot to add what i have in the case that draws power. currently 3 hdds, 2ssd and 2 m.2ssd. 8 fans + 2 fans on cpu cooler noctua nh d14. asus xonar soundcard, pci wifi card. 1080ti

Last edited:

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014

Wont say anything too soon, but i have tried all games as mentioned plus star citizen and squad without any crashes so fare. Going to test a bit more :)

if this is the fix, is it bad cable or psu? should you always have two separate cables for the pin connectors on the gpu?

Edit: Also tested the 3dmark stresstester, extreme and ultra with no problems.

Last edited:
if its still ok, then its probably not enough grounding from cable
single cable should be more than enough to feed your GPU with single rail PSU, id check that second cable pcie cable with both connectors connected to GPU, if no issues then throw away first cable, if issues then its comming from PSU

Steffenbk1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2014
if its still ok, then its probably not enough grounding from cable
single cable should be more than enough to feed your GPU with single rail PSU, id check that second cable pcie cable with both connectors connected to GPU, if no issues then throw away first cable, if issues then its comming from PSU

After changing to the two cables ive had 0 issues, thanks for the help. I will try to use the new cable with two lines and see if problems arise. Then double check with the alleged bad one

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS