Question PC has no reset button, how do I make one?

Zii

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
My case only has a power on/off button. There IS a reset button, but I have to OPEN the case and press it (it's on the motherboard itself) which is not ideal.
I also don't want to unplug my computer from the wall and plug it back in, too much work. There is no I/O switch on the PSU either sadly.

Tried reconfiguring the power button options in power settings "choose what the power buttons do" but there is no option for me to remap the power button to a rest button, only sleep/hibernate/shut down/display off.

I found one of these and these, and came across this thread... but now I'm even more confused. Momentary switch? 12v? I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Can't I just wire my current power button on the case to the rest pins on the mobo? Will that work or will I fry something?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
My case only has a power on/off button. There IS a reset button, but I have to OPEN the case and press it (it's on the motherboard itself) which is not ideal.
I also don't want to unplug my computer from the wall and plug it back in, too much work. There is no I/O switch on the PSU either sadly.

Tried reconfiguring the power button options in power settings "choose what the power buttons do" but there is no option for me to remap the power button to a rest button, only sleep/hibernate/shut down/display off.

I found one of these and these, and came across this thread... but now I'm even more confused. Momentary switch? 12v? I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Can't I just wire my current power button on the case to the rest pins on the mobo? Will that work or will I fry something?

Thanks
You need a second button on the case.
1 (existing) for power On/Off, and 1 for reset.

Zii

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
You need a second button on the case.
1 (existing) for power On/Off, and 1 for reset.

What would be the best way to do that? I can't really drill in a new hole but I can have a button peep out from one of the fan grills.
Still not sure how to connect it though... is either one I linked to on Amazon acceptable?

And I can't have the current power on/off button connected to the rest pins right? I honestly don't think I ever need to use a power button, just reset which I use all the time.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Oh wow, you found an old thread I posted in! Your situation is much simpler than that was, though. You do not need a complex switch with built-in LED. You need only a simple momentary-contact pushbutton rated for 12 VDC and very small current, which is really easy. Your second link to a 2-pack of switches with attached cables and connectors is ideal. You need only one of them, and a place to mount it so it can be reached easily. Then, on your mobo at the bottom front usually is the Front Panel header where several cables from the front are plugged in, including the one from your power On / Off button. On that header will be two pins for plugging in the cable from your case's front panel Reset pushbutton which you say does not exist. Just plug the new cable into that pin pair - do NOT worry about the "Power SW" label on it - and the polarity does NOT matter.

TRENDING THREADS