[SOLVED] Pc is detecting audio i play even when mic is muted?

Nov 20, 2020
Hope someone can help.

I am using astro a40s with my pc connected by a 3.5mm splitter one going into audio, one into mic.

The problem is my pc is detecting my pc audio and putting it as input for example when im playing a youtube video my friends can hear this even if i mute my mic on the wire.

Ive looked on multiple forums and can not find an answer.

Many people are saying online that you need to disable stereo mix however i dont have this on my sound settings and have also tried updating driver settings.

I have tried different headsets, splitters and wires and on the front and back ports but the problem still continues.

Thanks

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It depends what your friends are hearing.

If they hear you talking while mic is muted, unplug the mic wire from PC.

If they don't hear your voice, but instead the system sounds (e.g video only), then you'll need to look over the Sound Input settings.
Settings -> Sound -> Input (change the input device globally)
Settings -> Sound -> Advanced Sound Options -> App volume and device preferences (for changing input device per application)

You might want to also check the specific program settings you use to communicate with your friends (e.g game, discord, teamspeak etc) since these can override Win settings.

Nov 20, 2020
It depends what your friends are hearing.

If they hear you talking while mic is muted, unplug the mic wire from PC.

If they don't hear your voice, but instead the system sounds (e.g video only), then you'll need to look over the Sound Input settings.
Settings -> Sound -> Input (change the input device globally)
Settings -> Sound -> Advanced Sound Options -> App volume and device preferences (for changing input device per application)

You might want to also check the specific program settings you use to communicate with your friends (e.g game, discord, teamspeak etc) since these can override Win settings.

so im using discord, ive checked all you mentioned and its all set to my headset.

i have found a temporary resolution which is turning my mic level and boost down in the mic setting however this still doesn't explain why the pc sound is going into the input. im wondering whether it may be a hardware issue and the output is somehow leaking into the input but i wouldn't
be too sure.

Thank you for your help though, appreciate it :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In Discord, what is your Input Mode? Voice Activation or Push to Talk?

If former, then when your mic hears sound (e.g you watching a video), it is automatically activated. Latter doesn't start automatically but you need to hold down predefined key to talk.

Nov 20, 2020
In Discord, what is your Input Mode? Voice Activation or Push to Talk?

If former, then when your mic hears sound (e.g you watching a video), it is automatically activated. Latter doesn't start automatically but you need to hold down predefined key to talk.

so its voice activation, and my output volume is coming through my headset as well but even when i mute my mic on my wire it they can still her my game sound

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
even when i mute my mic on my wire
This may not be enough since if sound devices are incorrectly configured or sound drivers are wrong, discord can take next source of audio, which is system audio, and uses it as input.

Just for testing, try using the Push To Talk option in discord and see if it fixes your issue.

Also, have you tried this? ;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTIShGaSNIU

Solution

TRENDING THREADS