notsofast307

Prominent
Jun 2, 2018
My computer has a tendency to act funny after I do generally cleaning on it every 6ish months. When it is unplugged from the outlet for an uncertain amount of time, when I plug it back in and boot it up, my computer becomes sluggish and really slow. Also, the case fans and my water cooler turn into overdrive and act as if I'm overclocking (I have never even attempted to overclock this rig nor know how to do so) and running a game in 4k @ 1000FPS when in reality the only thing loaded is my desktop and an empty chrome browser. Generally after 1-3 hours all of the craziness my computer is doing just stops and begins to act as if nothing has happened. Right now it has been 2 hours and it hasn't been quite as bad as before but it is still really slow and not even loading yahoo for 10 seconds. This build also just passed its 4th birthday in February of 2020.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX
Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 - 3200
Harddrive: WD Black Caviar 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM
SSD: Samsung Evo 860 1 TB 2.5"
M.2: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4 GB Superclocked ACX 2.0
Power Supply: Corsair 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
Case: NZXT s340 Elite
Link: pcpartpicker.com/list/78bbrV

Solution
Maybe try BIOS update? Or replace CMOS battery. I had a sluggish system and replacing the CMOS Battery perked it right up... 🤔

notsofast307

Prominent
Jun 2, 2018
Maybe try BIOS update? Or replace CMOS battery. I had a sluggish system and replacing the CMOS Battery perked it right up... 🤔
Thank you for your reply, I posted this question on another forum and someone else also agreed with what you said in that it is most likely a dying CMOS battery. This was originally my suspicion but I didn't know it could cause all of these problems.

Edit: I replaced the CMOS battery and everything is running as it should. Thank you so much!

Last edited: