Apr 19, 2023
I got a very weird issue after I swapped out my HDD (possibly even before but I attributed it to the dead HDD). I have my system on an SSD and junk on another SSD or the HDD. When my PC is positioned vertically it often it starts to lag and the cursor almost always has the loading animation (15 fps in mc as a benchmark, compared to my typical 150-200 with the same settings).

Rotating the PC solves the issue but this isn't sustainable I have no idea what can it be?
I think poking at wires does something but I have no idea which and what exactly. The PCIe slots look alright, I poked at them and they don't seem melted or anything. Tried reconnecting some wiring but didn't seem to help.

What can it be? What changes when I rotate the PC? Can it be an obscure wiring issue?
Can provide more info and a photo if needed.

Solution
I got a very weird issue after I swapped out my HDD (possibly even before but I attributed it to the dead HDD). I have my system on an SSD and junk on another SSD or the HDD. When my PC is positioned vertically it often it starts to lag and the cursor almost always has the loading animation (15 fps in mc as a benchmark, compared to my typical 150-200 with the same settings).

Rotating the PC solves the issue but this isn't sustainable I have no idea what can it be?
I think poking at wires does something but I have no idea which and what exactly. The PCIe slots look alright, I poked at them and they don't seem melted or anything. Tried reconnecting some wiring but didn't seem to help.

What can it be? What changes when I...

What can it be? What changes when I rotate the PC? Can it be an obscure wiring issue?
Can provide more info and a photo if needed.
Is the CPU cooler properly secured?

Attach a pic.

Reactions: maksiks
Solution
Apr 19, 2023
is liquid cooling installed?
check temperatures anyway
check hdd while vertical
There's no liquid cooling.
Checked temperatures and was surprised, CPU temperatures are constantly at 70-100 in all cores, when rotated vertically it's just a constant 100 (I assume so Core Temp can't measure it over 100), had it heating a week ago but replacing the thermal paste worked well until the HDD swap. The HDD is very much alright in all cases though.

Apr 19, 2023
Is the CPU cooler properly secured?
Thanks! Just checked and apparently the CPU was loose, 2 of these screw-like things holding it to the motherboard were broken and once I rotated the pc they would just fall off a bit and tilt the processor's cooler, when I rotated them horizontally they'll fall in their places so it all makes sense. One of the screws has a piece of plastic that wasn't removed during manufacturing and doesn't allow it to lock in and fit into the hole in the motherboard properly, the other was just squished to sides.

Now I probably just have to get a new CPU cooler at some point, it's still not my previous 30-40° CPU on desktop but 40-60° instead so it's still loose, but for now just checking the temperature occasionally should do well enough.

Issue solved, thanks!