Question PC keeps crashing after I upgraded my monitor from a 1080p to a 1440p ?

Oct 5, 2023
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair AX860i 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

I had a 1080p monitor with 60hz and upgraded it to a 1440p AOC 165hz monitor. Now my system keeps crashing when playing games (rarely when doing other stuff). I get the Kernel 41 fault in the crash protocols. No dump file created.

I cant clean install windows as it always crashes during the process.
Sometimes the PC cant be started and it immediately tunrs off again after 0.1 second. (CMOS reset fixes that)

NOTE: I bought the 3070 second hand from a crypto miner.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

*I un- and reinstalled all drivers that have something to do with graphics.
*I updated bios *I set my GPU to a lower power consumption (80%)
*Did a windows memory check (it repaired something but the fault persists)
*I ran it with 1080p on the new monitor
*I tested CPU on another rig without problem and even installed my 5900 with only the stock fan into the faulty build (so temp cant be the issue as sometimes it doesnt start in the morning)
*tried a clean install of windows (unsucsessful)

Provide any additional details you wish below.

Can anyone tell me what other things I can try? I now assume its the motherboard causing issue but I reset it and updated bios and everything

upgraded it to a 1440p AOC 165hz monitor. Now my system keeps crashing
your title seems to be making the claim that using a new monitor started your system regularly crashing.
but you don't state anywhere that you tried a different display to prove that it could actually have anything to do with this problem.

it's much more likely that this worn out mining card just can't handle gaming anymore.

Oct 5, 2023
your title seems to be making the claim that using a new monitor started your system regularly crashing.
but you don't state anywhere that you tried a different display to prove that it could actually have anything to do with this problem.

it's much more likely that this worn out mining card just can't handle gaming anymore.
system never crashed with the old monitor and also stopped crashing when going back to the old monitor

now it also crashes with the old monitor, proably because I changed so many settings and everything is <Mod Edit>. Im pretty sure a driver or the motherboard or bios is causing it

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty sure a driver or the motherboard or bios is causing it
just replacing a monitor cannot cause something like that.
of course it's possible that something like this happened near to the same time that you started to use this newer monitor and it just appeared that way.

try resetting BIOS to optimized defaults,
instead of just uninstalling; remove all graphics related drivers & data with DDU,
reinstall the latest available driver package directly from Nvidia,
check Device Manager for any hardware that is flagged.
now it also crashes with the old monitor
probably because this worn out card has just happened to reach the end of it's life after you gamed with it for a while.

definitely would appear to just be a coincidence that these things happened.
tried a clean install of windows (unsucsessful)
where did you get this Windows install package from?
when installing, make sure to use the Media Creation Tool provided directly from Microsoft.com.