[SOLVED] Pc keeps freezing, cant click restart/shut down

Jul 4, 2021
Sorry if this has been asked already, I did have a look to see if I could find anything similar to my situation/a fix and I've not been successful, so thought I would post my own thread and see if you're able to help.

Issue that I'm having is my pc keeps freezing, But its not fully frozen. (apps/windows/games freeze)
The game I'm playing freezes, the browser I'm on freezes, but I click start but cant restart/shutdown but I can put it to sleep though!
When this is happening I'm playing a basic game that requires the minimum from the pc (PokeOne - Pokemon MMO)
Once I click ctrl alt del for task manager, it opens up but then immediately crashes after selecting anything on that window. (also cant sign out from ctrl alt del stage)

I've changed my hard drive to an M.2, Put a fresh copy of windows onto the new hard drive also, checked the airflow to make sure there are no issues what so ever (temps sit 35-50 Cpu on idle - AMD)
I've tried a intel crash test (a friend suggested it - no issues with that), A windows memory diagnosis too... Now I'm down to motherboard and Psu being the issue, but thought I'd ask here first before I end up buying new parts based off being the last two items.

I'm really not tech savvy and all the stuff I've done above is with the help of someone else.
Hopefully someone can help as I'm honestly losing my mind with this.

Quick run through with the parts I'm using to maybe help -
Case - NXZT H510i - I did worry it might be a heat/air flow issue but that's fairly average temps wise I'm getting.
CPU - 3700X AMD
GPU - 1660 Super
MB - B550 MSI Tomahawk
RAM - Corsair 16gb 3200 vengeance
PSU - EVGA 650 W - gold
CPU COOLER - Kraken x53
M.2 SSD - WINDOWS 10

PUS was bought year ago.
Case, Cpu, Ram and MB were bought in December.
GPU bought in march.
M.2 last month
Cooler 2 weeks ago.

Hopefully this is enough information, let me know if you need anything else as desperate to get this sorted.

Solution
i have exact same problem. changed MB, CPU, Cooler, M.2 NVMe and Case. none of it helped, unfortunatly.
Only thing i can see we have en common is the RAM don't know if they have some issue?

My crashes can be in a game, or while watching netflix, or simply talking over discord.
was advised to change my PCIe protocol from Auto to Gen3 cause my GPU uses Gen3. still trying and have not crashed since then. but only 15 hours ago.
crashes varies from rarely (1-5 times per month) to 2-4 times a day.

if i crash again i will look for new RAM.

My topic: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-freeze-please-help.3708947/
Vid of my freeze: Youtube Link
Ur issue seems to be more ram or SSD or driver focussed. If it was a...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is this issue occurring only when playing that specific game?

I did a quick search on that title and "causing system crashes" and it appears there have been long term issues surrounding the game as well as their servers, outside attacks, and so forth.
It may be worthwhile to see if there is a game specific forum where you could look for resolutions?
I noted that even in two different YouTube videos about it, one specifically about a DDOS attack in Feb of this year, there are almost up to current date replies to that video discussing ongoing issues.

Jun 19, 2021
i have exact same problem. changed MB, CPU, Cooler, M.2 NVMe and Case. none of it helped, unfortunatly.
Only thing i can see we have en common is the RAM don't know if they have some issue?

My crashes can be in a game, or while watching netflix, or simply talking over discord.
was advised to change my PCIe protocol from Auto to Gen3 cause my GPU uses Gen3. still trying and have not crashed since then. but only 15 hours ago.

My topic: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-freeze-please-help.3708947/

Ur issue seems to be more ram or SSD or driver focussed. If it was a GPU error, u wud get artifacts ... Do a thing, go to event viewer, and check the logs, check the particular log at the time these freezes occured. Also freezes from playing a video from local storage indicate that the data can't be read properly, so a good option is checking the SMART status of ur drives... U can really get to the bottom of this problem by checking the logs during freezes or crashes. I would had told RAM , but the new gen ryzen5000 series processors are not so picky about ram as it was with the first 3 gen ryzen processor, but still can be ram compatibility issue.

Solution
Jun 19, 2021
Ur issue seems to be more ram or SSD or driver focussed. If it was a GPU error, u wud get artifacts ... Do a thing, go to event viewer, and check the logs, check the particular log at the time these freezes occured. Also freezes from playing a video from local storage indicate that the data can't be read properly, so a good option is checking the SMART status of ur drives... U can really get to the bottom of this problem by checking the logs during freezes or crashes. I would had told RAM , but the new gen ryzen5000 series processors are not so picky about ram as it was with the first 3 gen ryzen processor, but still can be ram compatibility issue.
it happend before with my old I7 6700 too. i have been looking at the event log, but i don't seem to find anything when it happens.
just a thought, i have backup for filehistory to another drive. this is my HDD would those backup copying, make system fail?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021
Nope still get freezes... only thing open was Twitch in firefox....
Took a Memtest86 cause my friend thinks it's my RAM. but no errors at all.
I'm getting really clueless, on this matter.

In Eventlog only thing is alot of error 10016's, sometimes 4-7 at the same second.

The application specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54) and appid 15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402 from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Running out of idéas...

Nope still get freezes... only thing open was Twitch in firefox....
Took a Memtest86 cause my friend thinks it's my RAM. but no errors at all.
I'm getting really clueless, on this matter.

In Eventlog only thing is alot of error 10016's, sometimes 4-7 at the same second.

The application specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54) and appid 15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402 from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Running out of idéas...
Ok, do u use a surge protector or power strip to run ur pc or is it plugged into wall outlet
Try changing the surge protector, or if u use a ups, try running it of the direct mains.
Also , did u freshly formatted windows 10 on ur ssd?