Jun 11, 2020
Hello, so my PC which I just built about a month ago has been freezing since I've built it. It will freeze for like 30 seconds and then resume with what it's doing and it's very annoying. I've tried everything, checking my ram, switching gpu's, messing with power settings, tried a new psu, and commands on the command prompt, I also reinstalled windows, I've checked my temps too, they're all stable. I don't understand why this is happening. My PC specs are:

Ryzen 7 3700x,
RX 480 8gb Sapphire,
850W psu,
B450M DS3H Gigabyte Motherboard.

Anyone know what I could do to fix my PC?

Solution
Use MSI Afterburner and see if there's anything out of the ordinary happening when the PC freezes, like drop in CPU clock speed, or a spike in usage, temperature, etc. The Afterburner's monitoring feature shows a graph of all these things, so even when your PC freezes the graph should be able to record the clock speed, usage, temperature, etc. unless the freeze is happening at a hardware level.
Try a BIOS update, your board might have a newer BIOS that fixes these issues. Since you have reinstalled Windows, it probably isn't an OS level problem, but it might be drivers in case you are installing the same drivers again. Your motherboard also has drivers, so go to the official motherboard website and download the latest drivers and the latest BIOS applicable to your system.

Jun 11, 2020
Try a BIOS update, your board might have a newer BIOS that fixes these issues. Since you have reinstalled Windows, it probably isn't an OS level problem, but it might be drivers in case you are installing the same drivers again. Your motherboard also has drivers, so go to the official motherboard website and download the latest drivers and the latest BIOS applicable to your system.
Alright, I'll try that. Thank you.

Jun 11, 2020
So I downloaded the BIOS update and updated the CPU drivers for the mobo, but it still doesn't work well.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Perhaps some background apps running, which cause the issue?
Some RGB-Software?
The ry480-GPU seems to be a little weak for the 3700x.

Additonal 8-pin-power-connector for the CPU plugged in correctly?
GPU-power-connectors plugged in correctly?

So I downloaded the BIOS update and updated the CPU drivers for the mobo, but it still doesn't work well.
Did you actually update the BIOS? Put it in a flash drive, and boot into the BIOS and update it? Next step would be to use Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to completely remove your currently installed GPU drivers, then install the latest drivers for your GPU from AMD's website. Also, use MSI Afterburner, and check things like CPU clock speed, GPU clock speed, usage, etc. when you get a freeze. Just anything out of the ordinary that happens when the PC freezes.

Are you running an SSD or HHD ? NVME, AHCI or Raid ? It sounds like you may have an issue with your drive(s).

Have you installed the latest motherboard chipset driver ? I would recommend downloading the chipset driver from the AMD website and running that one.

Jun 11, 2020
Did you actually update the BIOS? Put it in a flash drive, and boot into the BIOS and update it? Next step would be to use Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to completely remove your currently installed GPU drivers, then install the latest drivers for your GPU from AMD's website. Also, use MSI Afterburner, and check things like CPU clock speed, GPU clock speed, usage, etc. when you get a freeze. Just anything out of the ordinary that happens when the PC freezes.
Yes I updated the bios like that and tried your other option, still nothing.

I tried that, didn't work.
Are you running an SSD or HHD ? NVME, AHCI or Raid ? It sounds like you may have an issue with your drive(s).

Have you installed the latest motherboard chipset driver ? I would recommend downloading the chipset driver from the AMD website and running that one.

Like dorsai's said, have you checked your drive (HDD/SSD) ? can you try to use another drive ?

Use MSI Afterburner and see if there's anything out of the ordinary happening when the PC freezes, like drop in CPU clock speed, or a spike in usage, temperature, etc. The Afterburner's monitoring feature shows a graph of all these things, so even when your PC freezes the graph should be able to record the clock speed, usage, temperature, etc. unless the freeze is happening at a hardware level.

Solution