[SOLVED] PC Keeps getting a BSoD or getting a black screen with buzzing noise when playing Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Oct 9, 2019
Hello all,

I've been trying to play this game, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, a very simple to run 8bit game on my gaming computer. I shouldn't be having any issues running this game, and at first I thought it was because of my overclock that it was crashing, but after resetting everything to default, it still happens. Within an hour of playing this game, my computer will either crash completely giving me a black screen with the GPU fans revving up loudly until I close the PC and open it back again, or it will give me a Blue Screen of Death, of which I have attached the crashlogs.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've run Prime95 for an hour without any issues, I've run Furmark for an hour without the temperature exceeding 65 degrees, I've run MemTest86 without there being any issues, I dusted the insides of the case and added new thermal paste, but when I try to play this game, all it does is crash within less than an hour. If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me what to do!

SPECS
CPU: AMD Ryen 7 2700 @4.1 GHz, 1.375 volts
CPU Cooler: Noctua NG-D15
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x 8GB DDR4 @3466MHz 18-20-20-20-38 timings (I think, would have to check again)
Storage: -SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
-HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
GPU: MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB Air Boost @ State 5: 1602 MHz, 1030mV, State 6: 1652 MHz, 1080 mV (typically stays around 1620-1630 at full force)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 850 W 80+ Gold

.dmp and .xml files link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Va7-u-VzdbosK45Bu9F9pkmjyKNDf_V2

Let me know if there is a better place to post this please. Thank you!

Solution
Ahhh - the dreaded graphics buzzer.
You should definitely try another graphics card as this is the cause of the problems.

I cant remember why the card starts buzzing, but it is the onboard voltage converters using coils, that makes the buzzing noise under certain conditions.
Could be a simple problem with associated electrolytic capacitors dried out.
That requires some serious soldering skills to replace though.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
You should definitely try another graphics card as this is the cause of the problems.

I cant remember why the card starts buzzing, but it is the onboard voltage converters using coils, that makes the buzzing noise under certain conditions.

Solution
Oct 9, 2019

Thanks for the insight! So it really has to do with my Vega 56 rather than anything else? How come it's able to run Furmark for over an hour without anything happening, but as soon as I hop into a game, things get messed up? Is replacing a card really the only way to fix this?

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
I would defo first try another graphics card, before condemning your present workhorse.
Try different game settings on the card with the same game to see if it makes any difference.
Usually it does, which will pinpoint the card as the problem.

Oct 9, 2019
I would defo first try another graphics card, before condemning your present workhorse.
Try different game settings on the card with the same game to see if it makes any difference.
Usually it does, which will pinpoint the card as the problem.

I would love to do that, but unfortunately, this Vega 56 is all I've got! I've messed around with the settings, turned off my overclock, even underclocked it, but it still seems to crash. Might have to try to get a warranty through on it, I guess.