Preet Saluja

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
I just updated my Windows 10 2004 to Windows 10 20H2 as I got the notification for it. Once my PC completed the reboot to finish the update it died on me after giving me a BSOD with the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. After it tried to reboot itself after the BSOD my PC kept booting to the BIOS directly every time.
I plugged in my bootable USB with Windows 10 on it and tried the following without any success :

1. Startup repair - Couldnt repair your PC
  2. Uninstall Updates - Ran into a problem and wont be able to uninstall update. Try resetting your PC (IDK how, the reset option isnt available as Im unable to boot into windows)
  3. System Restore - Requires me to boot to Window
  4. System Image Recovery - Couldn't find any image
Then I tried to reinstall windows on the SSD and thats when I noticed that Disk 0 (my SSD) shows 223GB out of 223GB as free/unallocated space. I clicked on the new option there to create a new partition and it just gets stuck there. I can move my mouse but the Windows setup window in which I selected the unallocated space becomes unresponsive. After about 15-20 minutes I get the error : We couldnt creat a new partition 0x8c1c2d80 (Couldnt find anything about this error code online)
Then I tried command prompt option after rebooting into troubleshooting mode with my bootable USB. I could see my SSD shown as 100% free in diskpart as well. I followed the below steps to try and format the drive manually :
  1. Type diskpart and press Enter.
  2. Type list disk to display all the storage media connected to your system.
  3. Type select disk X where X is the number of the disk you want to format.
  4. Type clean and press enter to erase all the data on the drive.
  5. Now, you have to create a new partition on the drive. Type the following and press enter:
    create partition primary
Here on the last step I got the following error : DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

Any other suggestions that can try? I obviously would prefer if I wouldn't have to reinstall Windows but I doubt that. Would be fine with getting my SSD back to working condition I guess.

Last edited:

Preet Saluja

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
what the ssd make and model?
sound like it failed
It's a Kingston A400 240GB 2.5" model I bought a few years ago.
I'm still confused if its a drive failure or not.
It still shows up as online/connected everywhere. And the problem happened right after I got the BSOD so the timing seems odd to me.