phoenixclaw

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Right so, little bit of context... I just bought a R9 3900x to replace my old R7 2700x (I'm using a Gigabyte Aourus Ultra Gaming x470 which is officially fully compatible with both chips). I believe the 3900x I received was dead on arrival as absolutely nothing I tried could get it to work, so I gave up and put the old R7 2700x back in, I feel it's important to note one of the things I tried doing to get the 3900x working was unplugging all the 4 ram sticks in my board and plugging them back in.

So back to where I am now. I've booted back into my computer and tried to play a little bit of read dead 2, however I noticed my FPS was quite a bit lower than usual so I did a quick userbenchmark test and found that my PC scored substantially lower than it did yesterday (yesterdays gaming score for example was 129% however now it's only scoring 121%, that's a major loss. Specifically there were two components in my system that scored lower than usual. First my CPU (scored 82.3% yesterday and only 79% today) and secondly my ram which has experienced an absolutely enormous loss in performance (was 95.8% yesterday now only 71.9%????). I'm guessing something has happened to my ram that is having a knock on effect on my CPU & my entire PC as a whole.

I would really really appreciate some help with this as to be honest, I have no idea what is going on here, my PC has just tanked out of nowhere. Thanks very much!

EDIT: All is now well, ram had reverted back to a stock slow speed which was killing my pc's performance.

Last edited:
I just bought a R9 3900x to replace my old R7 2700x (I'm using a Gigabyte Aourus Ultra Gaming x470 which is officially fully compatible with both chips).
Update BIOS to latest version. R9 3900x requires BIOS version F40 or later.
Read BIOS update notes carefully. It may be necessary to update in multiple steps (depending on current BIOS version).

Note - BIOS update has some risks. If done improperly, will brick your motherboard.

Reactions: phoenixclaw

phoenixclaw

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Update BIOS to latest version. R9 3900x requires BIOS version F40 or later.
Read BIOS update notes carefully. It may be necessary to update in multiple steps (depending on current BIOS version).

Note - BIOS update has some risks. If done improperly, will brick your motherboard.
I made sure to check for that, everything I could find said it was perfectly okay to go ahead and jump straight to the latest version.

phoenixclaw

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Is your RAM running at the correct speed. My guess is it has defaulted to stock 2133mhz.

CPU-Z is telling my me ram DRAM frequency is 1066.0 Mhz however I don't think I've ever actually looked at that stuff before so I'm not sure if that's normal or perhaps just an idle speed or something.

The ram is rated for 3000mhz so this doesn't seem quite right. Would I have to go back into the bios to check it & change if they have reverted back to stock 2133mhz speed or is there some kind of software for that? Thanks for your quick reply it's much appreciated :) .

CPU-Z is telling my me ram DRAM frequency is 1066.0 Mhz however I don't think I've ever actually looked at that stuff before so I'm not sure if that's normal or perhaps just an idle speed or something.

The ram is rated for 3000mhz so this doesn't seem quite right. Would I have to go back into the bios to check it & change if they have reverted back to stock 2133mhz speed or is there some kind of software for that? Thanks for your quick reply it's much appreciated :) .
Yes your RAM is running at 2133. The question is, has it always been running at the speed? If you never did anything like enable XMP (or whatever AMD calls it) in the BIOS, then it always has been running at 2133.

phoenixclaw

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2013
Yes your RAM is running at 2133. The question is, has it always been running at the speed? If you never did anything like enable XMP (or whatever AMD calls it) in the BIOS, then it always has been running at 2133.
Yeah you two were both right, thanks a bunch. Just went and set it back at 3000mhz where it should of been.

It was running at that before, I'd just never encountered it reverting back to a stock slow speed before.

Thanks again lads, you saved me a bunch of time trying to figure out what the hell was going wrong.