Question PC Randomly Freezes, but Mouse and Audio are Fine

May 24, 2021
Sometimes my PC just freezes, but my mouse can still move and I can hear things just fine. Whenever I'm in a Discord call I can hear my friends perfectly fine but they cannot hear me. I can still move my mouse, and I can type and use my keyboard. The windows I try to open up using my mouse or keyboard freezes after a while as well.

It's been happening for months, even after upgrading my PC. The only components leftover from my previous build was an HDD, the PSU, and GPU. Though the PSU was already upgraded from the original PSU I had but it was a different upgrade. It happens completely randomly as well, and I cannot make it happen on purpose.

I've tried stress-testing my GPU and CPU but neither seems to freeze when under stress.
I've actually re-partitioned my hard drive since it failed at one point, and nothing from my old PC is on my HDD and SSD.
I've tried cleaning my PC as well and looked for temperature problems but nothing appeared to be overheating and it occurred even while idle.
I've turned off hardware acceleration for Chrome and turned off eco-solutions on my monitors as well as disable Link State Power Management.
I've run software like Advance System Care 8 and Driver Booster 8, as well as manually update my GPU drivers and Radeon Software.
I actually have gone from having no idea to what is happening to some idea, and then back to no idea. I've tried looking in Event Viewer and Reliability History, there is absolutely nothing happening when the PC freezes or is left frozen.
Usually, I get a lot of DCOM warnings when my PC is running fine, but when looking at the periods when my PC is frozen on event viewer, there's just nothing.
There are no errors that happen when it freezes either, and I can tell because one of my wallpapers from Wallpaper Engine has a clock on it and it stops when it freezes.
I've also run the scf /scannow command in command prompt, and it did find some corrupted files but even after fixing it the freezes still occur.
I've run storage diagnostics like CrystalDiskMark and my HDD and SDD seem to be in good health, with the exception of my HDD which failed at some point. Though, even before it failed the freezes kept happening.
I'm currently running HWinfo and seeing what it says if and when the PC freezes next.

Other Things of Note:
GPU was overclocked before, but eventually set it to base clock; Currently have it at +20% power limit and a different fan curve than it had.
I have a PS3 controller hooked up to my PC and I use SCP Toolkit to get it running.
When it freezes, I can still see my CPU and GPU fans running and all the LEDs work.
It happens even in idle, and sometimes I don't actually notice it freeze immediately since the application I am on or game I am playing is still running perfectly fine and then it just stops a while after the initial freeze.
When it freezes and I'm watching something on YouTube, there is a MASSIVE drop in video quality BUT I can still hear the audio and the video is still playing, though in something that resembles 144p.
It can happen from 10 minutes after the computer boots, to 12+ hours after it boots, or never at all. There are some days where it happens very frequently and others none at all.

I upgraded my PC sometime during October last year to these specs, though the problem had persisted even before that.

Current Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X (stock cooler) [NEW]
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X [NEW]
RAM: 2x8GB OLOy Warhawk Aura Sync RGB 3600 MHz CL18 1.35V 288-Pin [NEW]
GPU: XFX RX570 4GB [OLD]
PSU: Apevia ATX-PR800W Prestige 800W 80+ Gold Certified [OLD]
Storage 1: SK Hynix Gold P31 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 (Internal SSD) [NEW]
Storage 2: Toshiba DT01ACA100 (Internal HDD) [OLD]
Case: Rosewill Stealth ATX Mid Tower [NEW]

I'm getting pretty desperate and thinking of wiping my PC clean, most especially since AP exams are coming up and I cannot afford to have this thing freeze while I'm taking them.

Last edited: