Question PC randomly shuts off every couple of weeks ?

SoapWasTaken

Prominent
May 26, 2022
Hey everybody, I've had a PC that I got from PowerGPU for about 3 years now. It's been fantastic and has given me no problems until the last few months. Back around February my PC started randomly shutting off, no warning or anything, as if the power was completely cut off (just like a quick power outage) and then it turns back on 2 seconds later and restarts perfectly fine. It only does this once or twice a month, which is why I'm having problems troubleshooting it. The PC is usually on for 12+ hours a day and a lot of games are played, so it's not like it happens consistently under high stress loads or anything. While it usually does happen while playing games, I can go a good 100-200 hours played on multiple games without an issue. I've never seen my GPU go higher than 70-75 degrees Celsius, and that was during a Furmark benchmark, while gaming it usually sits between 55-65 max. My CPU cores sit anywhere between 55-75 while gaming and around 37-40 while idle.

It's worth mentioning that the PC has easily been shut off by quick power outages from storms, etc. at least 20+ times over the last couple years so I don't know if that would affect the PSU negatively over time. Other than that I've moved with the PC in a box on a 20+ hour car drive but that was in early January and this didn't start until about a month later. Any help would be appreciated, I'd love to try and solve this before it gets worse and starts shutting down everyday instead of every 2-4 weeks, here are the specs:

Mobo -GIGABYTE Z490 VISION G LGA 1200
CPU - Intel Core i9-10850KA
AIO -DEEP COOL Castle 360EX WH
Case -LIAN LI PC-O11
RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB ( swapped from Corsair Vengeance RAM 2 years ago)
PSU- CORSAIR RM Series RM850
SSD- XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2
HDD- Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM
GPU -GeForce RTX™ 3080 VISION OC 10G

Last edited:
check all connections, reseat all devices: RAM, CPU, M.2...

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

clean boot

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

run the RAM @2133MHz to check if it happens then too

replace the PSU