Question PC reboots after heavy load on HDD, dying HDD?

Apr 20, 2019
I've been trying to solve this issue for a while now, but everything I try does not work.

At first, for a split second, my mouse & kb would disconnect & reconnect. I didn't really pay it any mind because I assumed it was due to me overloading my kb ( it has a USB passthrough, so I would plug my mouse in the KB passthrough instead of directly into my MOBO.) I changed it from being in the passthrough, to being directly into a USB 3.0 slot in my motherboard, and all was well.

Until around 3 months ago.

Basically, when I'm either playing games or downloading a large file, my PC either reboots, or the screen goes black & says no input but all of my RBG lighting (and fans) stay on.

At first, I thought this was a PSU problem, and bought a replacement. Did not work. The problem still persisted. I therefore resat my RAM. That helped it go from being black-screened, to just simply rebooting.

I ran a CPU stress test for 20 minutes and my CPU capped at 61°C, so I ruled temperature out.

Now, I noticed that it will only reboot under heavy load in my HDD. I ran HD tune's error scan test on my SSD that is only for boot purposes, and all sectors were fine.

I was running the HDD error scan, when it happened. My monitor went black, said "no input" & then went to sleep. My fans and RGB lighting still continued to run, and I had to shut the PSU switch off. Press & holding my case power switch does not shut it down. The switch is still functional however, because it'll power on & off when my PC is normally working.

I'm at my wit's end, I've already spent money on a new PSU, and that did not help things. Is this a sign of a failing HDD?

Also, I recently installed a fresh Windows 10, and nothing worked still.

Thanks for helping.

Specs:

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 550W

MOBO: Asus B350-F Gaming

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

GPU: MSI GAMING TRIO X 1080Ti

1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

1x SanDisk 200gb SSD

Apr 20, 2019
check/replace the power cable to the hdd?
First, I wanted to thank you immensly for replying. I've posted on reddit and some other forums and nobody has replied.

Second, I tried two brand new cables from a new EVGA PSU box, same thing has happened. I managed to check the HDD with HDTune and all sectors were fine. It has not crashed yet, but I have not done anything differently.
Thank you