[SOLVED] PC restart-loop after installing new MOBO and CPU ?

Jul 29, 2021
Hello everyone, first off I just want to say if you’re reading this, I genuinely appreciate you. Recently I decided to upgrade my CPU and because of that, I bought a motherboard that supports a LGA 1200 socket type. In short, I decided to run a i9-10900KF on a Gigabyte B460M D3SH (Micro-ATX Motherboard). I also needed a new cooler as well, so I picked up a Cooler Master Hyper 212 as well to complete this little upgrade of mine. Before I continue, I would just like to list off the build I was attempting to strive for.
  • MOBO: B460M D3SH
  • CPU: i9-10900KF
  • RAM: T-Force Vulcan Z (2x8) - 16GB (DDR4)
  • PSU: Cooler Master Bronze MWE 600 Watt
  • Accompanied by a PCI SSD and HDD
Upon receiving my new motherboard, I replaced both components properly and mounted my new cooler. I made sure to really take my time with it. After I applied my thermal paste and rigged everything up, I finally plugged my PC in and powered it on. The power LEDs came on at first, but there was no signal coming from my monitor and it began to restart over and over like the MOBO was shorting out or having some sort of power surge. I couldn’t even access the BIOS. I double checked if everything was connected properly at first and thought it might be a good idea to change my RAM configuration, but to no avail. I checked if there was in issue with the GPU.. still nothing. I reset my BIOS and cleared CMOS.. but that didn’t help either. I noticed that all fans were running and the LED behind my GPU was also glowing orange as it should.

I ended up bringing my computer over to my friend’s house who has a better grasp on hardware than I do to see if he could help. He told me I had set everything up properly and began troubleshooting the problem as I had. In the end, we had no luck and told me that the motherboard had to be defective/DOA. I was certain it was either that or my CPU was. However, I examined my CPU and didn’t find that there was anything out of the ordinary at all other than a little oxidation. After I got home, I decided to file for a replacement motherboard with Newegg and got my tracking label in order to return what seems like a DOA motherboard. I wish I could test my old CPU with it, but it wouldn’t work due to supporting a different socket type. My friend also mentioned that it could have something to do with the motherboard standoffs (spacers) causing an issue.

In the end of all of this, I’m confident that I either have a defective CPU or Motherboard.. I’m just not sure which one. My friend seems confident it’s the motherboard though. I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any insight to the issue. Again, it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Before even reading your entire post, I decided to google "B460 11th gen intel" and it spat this out as the first result: https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news...t-budget-chipsets-like-h410-b460-9297931.html

Apparently B460 does not support 11 gen CPUs. Personally I wouldn't even want to use a B series motherboard even if it did work, as using an unlocked CPU is quite useless, since B series motherboards don't support CPU or memory overclocking. RAM only goes up to 2933MHz on B series motherboards.

I would suggest swapping your motherboard out for a Z series motherboard, or H series if your budget won't allow it.
Before even reading your entire post, I decided to google "B460 11th gen intel" and it spat this out as the first result: https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news...t-budget-chipsets-like-h410-b460-9297931.html

Apparently B460 does not support 11 gen CPUs. Personally I wouldn't even want to use a B series motherboard even if it did work, as using an unlocked CPU is quite useless, since B series motherboards don't support CPU or memory overclocking. RAM only goes up to 2933MHz on B series motherboards.

I would suggest swapping your motherboard out for a Z series motherboard, or H series if your budget won't allow it.

Solution

His is a Gigabyte chipset based on H470. " Gigabyte, for example, will add assistance to the ‘H410 and B460 motherboards’ by leveraging the H470 chipset. "