Mar 18, 2024
System specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core(brand new)
CPU cooler: stock cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K
Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB 2933MHZ 2x8(brand new)
SSD/HDD: Intenso SSD Sata 3 Top 512GB(system drive+brand new) + Crucial BX500 480GB CT480BX500SSD1
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Seasonic focus plus 650 gold
Chassis: MemoryPC Midi-Tower Schwarz
Monitor: Benq Xl2411P(running at 144hz) + Belinea 1925 S1w(running at 60hz)

Hello,
I have this issue since I got this PC it's second hand and I already replaced some components. Thought at first the CPU causing the issue but I replaced it with 2 other components and the issue still persists.

Components that could cause the freeze(are there more?) the other components got already replaced:
GPU: GTX 1060. I highly doubt that the gpu is causing freezes. The freeze happens on cpu load not gpu
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K updated to second latest bios version. The motherboard could be causing the freezes but I don't understand why and how I can monitor that.
I don't know the PSU model but I also doubt that it's causing the issue. The system never crashed because of "lack of power".

CPU,RAM and hard drive(SSD) was replaced. The rest was bought second hand. I have still the old hard drive in but I tested the state of it with crystal disk back then and the values seemed okay. I know that there can be stability/performance issues if one mounted hard drive is dying but that is most likely not the case for me.
I am using Windows 11 64bit as my operating system and I noticed when it freezes sometimes I can open the task manager and restart windows explorer for some reason that fixes it but sometimes it stays frozen for +20 secs then I need to wait it out.
Tasks that cause the freezing:
Veracrypt encrypting a hard drive
Playing a game and recording(depends on the load but if the game is heavy and I start recording it starts to freeze)
When rendering a video

I would like to know what could be the root issue of this or how I could investigate/monitor components that could cause it.
Personally I think its the motherboard that is causing the issues. I really doubt that the graphics card would do that especially on tasks that are not even gpu heavy but cpu. PSU could be the issue but I assume the PSU load is low when I do only CPU heavy stuff like encryption? So the only thing that would be left is the motherboard but I would like to ask here first for advice before I replace the motherboard as well
Also my operating system is fresh when I bought a second hard drive I installed windows 11 on it and used my first hard drive as my second drive.
If more info is needed let me know

Kind Regards

Edit1: Added full system specs

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

I am using Windows 11 64bit as my operating system and I noticed when it freezes sometimes I can open the task manager and restart windows explorer for some reason that fixes it but sometimes it stays frozen for +20 secs then I need to wait it out.
Where did you source the installer for the OS? If you're yet using the same OS that came with the system when purchased, you should consider reinstalling the OS after recreating your bootable USB installer and install the OS in offline mode, then manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, with the latest drivers.

I don't know the PSU model but I also doubt that it's causing the issue. The system never crashed because of "lack of power".
Take the side panels off the case and see what the stickered side of the PSU tells you. You should also be wary of how old the unit is.

Mar 18, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Where did you source the installer for the OS? If you're yet using the same OS that came with the system when purchased, you should consider reinstalling the OS after recreating your bootable USB installer and install the OS in offline mode, then manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, with the latest drivers.

Take the side panels off the case and see what the stickered side of the PSU tells you. You should also be wary of how old the unit is.
Edited my post thanks and the source of the OS installer files are from the microsoft site itself basically a fresh system with the "newest" installer files offered from microsoft at that time.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
System specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core(brand new)
CPU cooler: stock cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K
Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB 2933MHZ 2x8(brand new)
SSD/HDD: Intenso SSD Sata 3 Top 512GB(system drive+brand new) + Crucial BX500 480GB CT480BX500SSD1
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Seasonic focus plus 650 gold
Chassis: MemoryPC Midi-Tower Schwarz
Monitor: Benq Xl2411P(running at 144hz) + Belinea 1925 S1w(running at 60hz)

Hello,
I have this issue since I got this PC it's second hand and I already replaced some components. Thought at first the CPU causing the issue but I replaced it with 2 other components and the issue still persists.

Components that could cause the freeze(are there more?) the other components got already replaced:
GPU: GTX 1060. I highly doubt that the gpu is causing freezes. The freeze happens on cpu load not gpu
Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-K updated to second latest bios version. The motherboard could be causing the freezes but I don't understand why and how I can monitor that.

CPU,RAM and hard drive(SSD) was replaced. The rest was bought second hand. I have still the old hard drive in but I tested the state of it with crystal disk back then and the values seemed okay. I know that there can be stability/performance issues if one mounted hard drive is dying but that is most likely not the case for me.
Tasks that cause the freezing:
Veracrypt encrypting a hard drive
Playing a game and recording(depends on the load but if the game is heavy and I start recording it starts to freeze)
When rendering a video

I would like to know what could be the root issue of this or how I could investigate/monitor components that could cause it.
Personally I think its the motherboard that is causing the issues. I really doubt that the graphics card would do that especially on tasks that are not even gpu heavy but cpu. PSU could be the issue but I assume the PSU load is low when I do only CPU heavy stuff like encryption? So the only thing that would be left is the motherboard but I would like to ask here first for advice before I replace the motherboard as well
Also my operating system is fresh when I bought a second hard drive I installed windows 11 on it and used my first hard drive as my second drive.
If more info is needed let me know

Kind Regards

Edit1: Added full system specs
What is task manager saying at the time the problem occurs?

Mar 18, 2024
What is task manager saying at the time the problem occurs?
Hello so I recorded my task manager and resource manager and it looks like the freezes happen when my hard drive reaches 100% load when recording I was playing a game and watching a video on my second monitor.
The picture is in german:
035liYv.png

Mar 18, 2024
So I did some more recordings and to put more load onto my system to recreate the freeze I created a volume and was encrypting it with veracrypt and I noticed some strange behavior with System PID4?
Here the test file is the volume I was creating/encrypting.
3RencOp.png

In the second picture for someone reason my game dead island 2 was shown there with high read load even though I didn't boot up the game at all. I was booting up lost ark.
1nJ5rQV.png

Edit1: just saw that my windows defender got reactivated so maybe it was scanning the files of the game in that moment.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
So I did some more recordings and to put more load onto my system to recreate the freeze I created a volume and was encrypting it with veracrypt and I noticed some strange behavior with System PID4?
Here the test file is the volume I was creating/encrypting.
3RencOp.png

In the second picture for someone reason my game dead island 2 was shown there with high read load even though I didn't boot up the game at all. I was booting up lost ark.
1nJ5rQV.png

Edit1: just saw that my windows defender got reactivated so maybe it was scanning the files of the game in that moment.
It does seem that the problem is related to disk reads.

Mar 18, 2024
It does seem that the problem is related to disk reads.
something is wrong with the disk I bought a cheap one maybe it's a issue with that model I replaced the motherboard yesterday evening. I didn't run crystaldisk on the new hard drive because I didn't expect issues like this to arise but I will do it now.