caioalves

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2016
Hello, guys

I ran into a very weird problem and I don't know what else to do.

Yesterday I installed tp-link Archer T5E (AC1200) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapter. Soon as I turned my PC on, it began to restart randomly. I assumed it was a driver issue, but I didn't have enough time to deal with this between the restarts. After a couple of starts, my PC stopped booting to BIOS. I'm not getting any video output anymore, even with the Wi-Fi adapter disconnected.

I have another computer (let's call it PC 2) which I used to troubleshoot. I took RAM, GPU, PSU, and SSD from PC 1 and installed them in PC 2. All of them worked perfectly. I also did the opposite, took components from PC 2 and installed them in PC 1. It didn't work.

After those tests, I'm sure the issue is the motherboard. Could the adapter have burned the Motherboard? It connects both to the PCI-E and to one USB input in the MoBo.

CPU and case fans work. Case and fan LED work. The mouse and keyboard turn on as well, so it's not the MoBo completely dead.

I already took the CMOS battery out, shortened the "clear CMOS" jumpers, and nothing...
Tested it without a mouse and a keyboard, without the SSD...
Also tested it with only the CPU and Motherboard cables, and GPU connected. Unfortunately, I can't test without the GPU because I don't have integrated graphics. But GPU is working fine on other computers.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Here's the config:
Mobo: TUF Gaming B450M-Plus II
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: GTX 1660
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 3200 Mhz
SSD: WD Green Sta m.2 480 Gb
PSU: EVGA 500W Bronze

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

I have another computer (let's call it PC 2) which I used to troubleshoot. I took RAM, GPU, PSU, and SSD from PC 1 and installed them in PC 2. All of them worked perfectly. I also did the opposite, took components from PC 2 and installed them in PC 1. It didn't work.
It's leading me to think that the motherboard might've conked out or that the BIOS is corrupt. Does the system power up without a discrete GPU?

caioalves

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2016
Sorry, the PSU model is EVGA 500 W Bronze. Everything was bought 2 years ago.

Yes, the system powers up without the GPU, but as my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics, I still don't get video. I found out the CPU model by the way, it's a Ryzen 5 3600.

Is there a way to recover a corrupted bios? It's really weird that this happened the moment I installed the adapter. Everything was working fine minutes before.