[SOLVED] PC stutters with 100% HDD\SSD busy on TowerRaid enclosure.

Kirill Steshin

Honorable
May 17, 2014
Trying to use SansDigital ToweRaid used an enclosure for three HDDs:
- Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M5 SCSI Disk Device​
- WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2 SCSI Disk Device​
- Seagate ST9500325AS SCSI Disk Device​
Plugged into a PCI-e x4 extension card RocketRAID 622 SATA Controller (from the same manufacturer) via eSATA cable. Inside of the main PC also got four drives, hence the reason for TowerRaid: two SSDs, two HDDS.

Main specs:
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i5-4670K, 3800 MHz (38 x 100)
RAM: 2 x Corsair XMS3 CMX16GX3M2A1333C9 8 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz)
MB: ASRock H97 Pro4 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
BIOS: AMI (07/27/2015)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 (8 GB)
PCI-e x4 Storage Controller: RocketRAID 622 SATA Controller + eSATA plug.

Now, the main issues:

1. Win10 doesn't boot IF TowerRaid(TR for short) in on(switch on the back in flipped ON). Even if I select Win10 boot drive from BOOT menu, PC goes into a flickering screen with " _ " on it. Only escape from it in to reboot again.
- No other systems are installed anywhere.
- Prior to MB logo, TowerRaid does into its menu:​
if TR is ON, it shows all drives it has, but does nothing, since there is nothing in menu the could be selected.​
if TR in OFF - is for what I've been doing to boot at all - menu does nothing.​
- Tweaking BIOS does nothing for me, since BOOT priorities are override the moment PC goes in reboot. Same for manual selection to boot from main Win 10 SSD.​
2. And with TR OFF, Win10 boots normally and does it's loading, etc - as per normal boot.
- Once in the OS, I flip the switch on TR, it starts, boots, checks all the drives, and appears to function normally.​
- Problem is:​
a) takes good 5-6 min for it to do so;​
b) OS stutters horribly, nor I can access drives normally once in it does so. During it, three LEDs on TR start flickering red, and when all do at once, TR goes dark for about a 20 seconds - then cycle continues.​
c) even when it goes normally, 30-40 mins in, stutters are coming back. And during it - same as before.​
3. When booted into OS, I flip the switch on the TR("safe" as per instruction manual says), PC goes high-wire and Coil-Whines badly - and only stops once turn PC OFF.

Any suggestions? If additional info needed, please ask.

Kirill Steshin

Honorable
May 17, 2014
Which TowerRAID model are you using?
This is model without USB3.1 output.
TowerRAID TR4UTBPN - http://www.sansdigital.com/tr4utbpn.html

Which power supply are you using inside your PC? brand and model please
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX705G - https://www.evga.com/articles/00709/#NEX750

BIOS Type AMI UEFI
BIOS Version P1.90
SMBIOS Version 2.8

Might be a power problem of the PC or the TowerRaid
Did you try only one HDD at a time?
Tried - same problem when trying to read\write either HDD or SSD.

Check the HDDs for errors with the manufacturer tools (WD life and seatools)
Did that - no issues.

Thanks for reply. I really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Update the BIOS of your motherboard within the BIOS itself, using the unzipped BIOS file on an USB flash drive and the menu instant flash

Did you connect the USB cable as well?

Which switches did you set to which position? clean 123, large123, clone 123, R.....
Did you initialize the raid setup? CAUTION: this will erase all data and setup the configured raid: power on while holding reset button for 5 seconds

Kirill Steshin

Honorable
May 17, 2014
Update the BIOS of your motherboard within the BIOS itself, using the unzipped BIOS file on an USB flash drive and the menu instant flash

Did you connect the USB cable as well?

Which switches did you set to which position? clean 123, large123, clone 123, R.....
Did you initialize the raid setup? CAUTION: this will erase all data and setup the configured raid: power on while holding reset button for 5 seconds

Sorry for being so late - 'cause RL gets in the way )

So. I've updated BIOS. Works slightly better:
- it does stutter much less now, but when I shut down the TowerRaid - still gives me high-pitch noise.

Anyway, I'm just gonna give TowerRaid back, and buy new\refurb 2-4 bay external SATA enclosure with USB 3.1. Or just buy upgrade to new MB - probably high-end AM4.

Thanks for help - I really apreciated it.