[SOLVED] Pc suddenly rebooted, and now I cant access windows, widows repair, or even boot from windows boot!

kastrupandreas

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
TLDR: PC can't access anything beyond motherboard loading screen or bios.

So, the other day I received new parts for the AMD Ryzen 3000 series, these parts being a motherboard, memory (ram) and CPU (ryzen 5 3600). At first nothing worked, but that was because the BIOS / UEFI had to be updated to accomodate the new Ryzen series. Retailer did that for me.

Afterwards i got the pc build, and installed windows and everything was fine. But then, the pc suddenly rebooted (while playing a game) and then couldn't access anything at all!

The pc reaches a windows loading icon, loads a bit then restarts. It does the same for Windows Automatic Repair and even also if i try to boot a new windows installation USB it does the same. Windows loading screen, then restart.

What i have tried:
  • Changing GPU
  • Changing PSU
  • Running a Memtest (booted) got 1 pass and 0 fails and a message that i could exit. Though im not sure if it was 100% completed. Runtime: 55 minutes.
  • Using one block of Ram (and changed it with the other aftwarwards)
  • Switching from A1 and B1 Ram slots to A2 and B2
  • Only using one working hard drive without OS.
  • Only using the one hard drive with OS
I cannot figure out what cause the issue, as I have been testing all components! I reach out to this forum for help #HopesRHigh

notes:
  • Before crash i had run a .bat script that removed a windows activation watermark. Before anyone raises eyebrows, I do have a legit copy of windows, i just had issues re-activating it because of the hardware changes, and it seemed that the servers of activating were unavailable. So until i figured out this activation issue, i decided to remove the watermark. Though i can't help to suspect that Windows may have Branded my hardware to never load or install windows ever again!
  • I can access Motherboard BIOS
  • I have successfully booted Memtest from USB
  • I have not yet tried booting an Ubuntu, just to see if Windows somehow have banned my hardware.
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS PRIME X470
Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz Ram (2x8gb)
MSI Seahawk GeForce 1080 (2 fans on radiator, never reached more than 45C in games prev to hardware change)
Samsung Evo SSD 250GB
Corsair CX550 Gold-standard (550w) (tried with a Cooler Master 600W aswell)

Solution
Hey, hope you've managed to fix your issue, but just in case you haven't I've solved my problem. I now believe my issue was caused by my GPU failing and somehow corrupting Windows. I bought a new SSD and did a fresh install of Windows, but it crashed and I was unable to boot up Windows again. The first thing I was doing when I booted up the fresh Windows was try to install my GPU driver. I didn't do this on the last time, but I believe Windows tried to install it by itself as part of Windows updates.
I bought a new GPU and all my crashing problems are gone. I still have to re-install everything to a fresh install of Windows, but my system is now stable. Hope this helps

JamieK

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2012
Hey, hope you've managed to fix your issue, but just in case you haven't I've solved my problem. I now believe my issue was caused by my GPU failing and somehow corrupting Windows. I bought a new SSD and did a fresh install of Windows, but it crashed and I was unable to boot up Windows again. The first thing I was doing when I booted up the fresh Windows was try to install my GPU driver. I didn't do this on the last time, but I believe Windows tried to install it by itself as part of Windows updates.
I bought a new GPU and all my crashing problems are gone. I still have to re-install everything to a fresh install of Windows, but my system is now stable. Hope this helps

Solution