Jul 8, 2022
Hi, I am having this issue. My (desktop) computer takes several attempts to boot properly. When I try to turn on the PC, the CPU fan, the LED light of casing, and the casing fans do seem to run fine, but nothing is shown on the monitor. I am quite sure its not a graphics card issue since keyboard and mouse also don't seem to run. Usually, few years ago, the problem seemed to occur occasionally and required 1 or 2 attempts. But the problem now seems to have gotten worse as it now requires several attempts. Sometimes, even the LED lights and CPU fan do not start after pressing the power button, but this is rare. Nevertheless, after the computer starts, it works flawlessly.

My PSU is new so I don't suspect its the PSU. It doesn't seem be an issue of graphics card either. The only old components of my PC are motherboard and CPU (more than five years old). Could it be the case of Motherboard since its pretty old? I read in some posts it could be due to the CMOS battery on motherboard. But I have no idea about CMOS battery.

Could someone please help me? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Update:
Specs:
CPU: Intel I5 4460
GPU: Gigabyte RX 560 4GB
RAM: 4x2 GB RAM
Motherboard: Gigabyte b85m-hd3-a
PSU: Corsair CX 650F (RGB)

Last edited:

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
If you don't know anything about the CMOS battery, it's the round shiny silver thing sitting in a socket on the motherboard.

Like any battery they need changing periodically when they go flat. The part number is CR2032. They tend to last around 5 years.

With the computer disconnected from the mains, remove any plugin cards to access the battery.

Make a note of the orientation of the battery. There should be a small + mark engraved on the top.

Lift the battery out of the socket. It's held in place with a small spring loaded clip which needs to be pressed sideways gently.

Fit a new battery into the socket with the + marking uppermost. Press down on the top of the battery until it clicks into place.

Reconnect any plugin cards.

Switch on the computer. Go into the BIOS and set the date and time. Set the boot drive if necessary.

See if it clears the fault.

Reactions: The_Stormbringer
Jul 8, 2022
If you don't know anything about the CMOS battery, it's the round shiny silver thing sitting in a socket on the motherboard.

Like any battery they need changing periodically when they go flat. The part number is CR2032. They tend to last around 5 years.

With the computer disconnected from the mains, remove any plugin cards to access the battery.

Make a note of the orientation of the battery. There should be a small + mark engraved on the top.

Lift the battery out of the socket. It's held in place with a small spring loaded clip which needs to be pressed sideways gently.

Fit a new battery into the socket with the + marking uppermost. Press down on the top of the battery until it clicks into place.

Reconnect any plugin cards.

Switch on the computer. Go into the BIOS and set the date and time. Set the boot drive if necessary.

See if it clears the fault.
Thanks a lot for the help. Yeah, recently I just saw some videos about CMOS battery replacement. It seems fairly easy. But I had one question. Can't I just replace the battery instead of unplugging any plugin cards? Like shown in this video?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvpSwCCu8g&ab_channel=TheEasyWay

Jul 8, 2022
Replacing the old battery is a good idea, but it may not be the issue.
Every time I've had a PC that won't post, it's been the RAM. Sometime just removing it and putting it back in again can fix the issue, other times it will post on 1 stick but not both. Play around and see what helps.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, one of the sticks of the RAM is also pretty old. However, I am actually little bit of confused about POST. What exactly is a POST?
In my case, nothing is shown on the screen. Not even the BIOS (Motherboard, "Gigabyte' logo) settings that first appears after pressing the power button.

Also I'd like to mention another thing. Sometimes my PC starts fine if I try to power up the button after a long period (like 30 minutes or more). It gets started with just one attempt. I have seen some threads and they all point to PSU failure. But I don't think its my PSU. Cause not only my PSU is new, but sometimes when I just press the 'restart' button (even when the computer is running) on the case, this problem seems to appear. In other words, this problem also remains when the PC is fairly warmed up.