Question PC turns on and off, reboots itself.

Sep 3, 2019
Hello!
I have quite the issue that i just cant lay my fingers on what the issue is. My girlfriends PC worked perfectly fine until one day when she turned it on and it didn't start up. It just started up for 1-2 seconds, then turned off. And continued like this in a consistent loop, until the power cord was disconnected. However, this solved itself but I switched out the PSU of it anyway to a brand new one thinking it could be a problem somewhere around that area. Then it worked perfectly fine for a couple months. Now however the PC has started doing the same thing again. Starts up the fans, gives a noise, shuts down, all in a loop. I've now switched out the PSU again to the one I have in my PC with no luck. I reset the CMOS and switched out the CMOS battery, cleared the RAM memory on it, switched slots for the RAM. I tried plugging everything out and in again just to ensure no cable was loose. I disconnected eveything and put it back in sequences (with a power on inbetween) to see if the issue was resolved. But no luck. I also tried taking out the CPU and putting it back in again to secure it tightly. Cleaned the whole PC and such aswell. And suddenly it worked again with no issues! Started up, ran perfectly, no shutdown etc. But as soon as I went to turn it off, it would not start again. Stuck in the same loop as before.

Now, something must be dead inside the PC, could it be just the RAM or the whole MoBo? What would you guys recommend me to do here? Just switch out the parts etc?

PS: Just to ensure no one misunderstands, it doesn't even boot to a splash screen, so entering BIOS on boot-up is not possible.

Giving you all thanks for the future answers :)

Sep 3, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
Hmm, I may remember, i will update this if i get anything wrong. It was built 6 years ago and I'm not quite sure if this is 100% correct.

But i do believe it is an:

MOBO: ASUS Z97-A MoBo
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: EVGA 600W White
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866mHz (2x8gb)
CPU: Intel core i5 4690k
SSD: Kingston A400 240GB

Not sure about the HDD, though its unused basically and disconnected right now so.

Last edited: