Question PC Will Not Boot, MB Lights Up, Possibly CPU?

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
■ EVGA 750w + Gold Certified ATX PSU
■Nvidia Geforce GTX 3070
■ Crucial P5 1TB M.2 SSD
■Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 16gb (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 3200mhz RAM
■Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor
■Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming motherboard
■Corsair H100x 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Hello friends, I am in dire need of assistance,

Currently I am experiencing a rather perplexed issue with my brand-new build, each part being fresh out of the box. I have installed each part to the best of my knowledge correctly, however, when I try to boot the device I am greeted with just a flash of the Motherboard LEDs and nothing more. No sounds, no POST, not even fans spinning. I have tried to determine if the PSU is faulty, and not providing enough power to the system, however even with my spare Corsair CX 750m PSU, I experience the same result. I know the motherboard is also good, as I had a similar issue with a spare MSI Z490 Gaming Plus. If it were the RAM or GPU, I would expect to at least be able to see the fans spin and see some sort of error on screen. Is it possible the CPU is actually Dead on Arrival? I have tested the Front IO connections every which-way to no difference in result as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I take the device to be diagnosed by Geek Squad.

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Use two dual 4-pin cables from PSU and plug into 8-pin slot (EATX12V_1 of page 1.11 user manual).

I assume the 4 pin slot ( EATX12V_2 of page 1.11 user manual) is for low end CPU that use less power.

You don't need to put in GPU at this moment. Your CPU has integrated graphic so you can connect your monitor to motherboard for output display. It is easier to troubleshoot.

Update: Check your memory is installed correctly. If memory not in corectly, it will not post either.

Last edited:

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
Use two dual 4-pin cables from PSU and plug into 8-pin slot (EATX12V_1 of page 1.11 user manual).

I assume the 4 pin slot ( EATX12V_2 of page 1.11 user manual) is for low end CPU that use less power.

You don't need to put in GPU at this moment. Your CPU has integrated graphic so you can connect your monitor to motherboard for output display. It is easier to troubleshoot.

Update: Check your memory is installed correctly. If memory not in corectly, it will not post either.
Just tested my other power supply with an 8-pin connector, that doesn't seem to be it either. I double-checked the memory and it appears to be in correctly, each stick in slot 2 and 4. Still only seeing on-board RGB, no fans and no POST.

Bob125484

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Here is a link to checklist that someone created so I just link it for you to follow to see any luck.

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
Here is a link to checklist that someone created so I just link it for you to follow to see any luck.

Thanks for the sticky, guess I'll need to breadboard each component one-by-one.

Each slot on the CPU power connections has a 4-pin connector installed, does the 8-pin slot require a 8-pin connector? I believe my PSU only came with two dual 4-pin cables.
Make sure you have both (two) CPU 4+4 pin cables plugged into the PSU (labeled CPU1 and CPU2) and the motherboard. Check the connector keying to make that they are correctly plugged into the motherboard. Sometimes people will plug in the wrong side of the 4 pin connector in to the motherboard.

Reactions: xCJ11

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
Make sure you have both (two) CPU 4+4 pin cables plugged into the PSU (labeled CPU1 and CPU2) and the motherboard. Check the connector keying to make that they are correctly plugged into the motherboard. Sometimes people will plug in the wrong side of the 4 pin connector in to the motherboard.
I’ve checked and double-checked the 4-pin connections several times, the board is indeed being supplied power. I am still unable to see a POST even after trying to jump the power switch connection with a screwdriver. Never had a computer act like this before.

Nov 5, 2020
Hi i seem to be having a similar issue. First build so bear with me - my knowledge is minimal.
I have slightly different components:
ROG STRIX B450-F II (new version with upgraded bios)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
AMD Radeon 5500xt
gamemax RGB psu 750w
4x8GB Oloy RGB memory
and 1TB SSD
Case came with 7 fans
everything is plugged in right from what i can tell, nothing loose, or jammed etc. All fans work, all lights work, but it won't boot. it sometimes gives me a yellow glowing light for DRAM i think? but it goes away, and the atx power button doesnt always work to power off - seems like it should still boot though? Please correct me if im wrong in my thinking. any nd all help is appreciated. Thank you!

**oh also i dont think any of the ports for usb/hdmi etc work...not the ones built into the case, nor the ones from graphics card or the mobo

Nov 3, 2020
Hi i seem to be having a similar issue. First build so bear with me - my knowledge is minimal.
I have slightly different components:
ROG STRIX B450-F II (new version with upgraded bios)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
AMD Radeon 5500xt
gamemax RGB psu 750w
4x8GB Oloy RGB memory
and 1TB SSD
Case came with 7 fans
everything is plugged in right from what i can tell, nothing loose, or jammed etc. All fans work, all lights work, but it won't boot. it sometimes gives me a yellow glowing light for DRAM i think? but it goes away, and the atx power button doesnt always work to power off - seems like it should still boot though? Please correct me if im wrong in my thinking. any nd all help is appreciated. Thank you!

**oh also i dont think any of the ports for usb/hdmi etc work...not the ones built into the case, nor the ones from graphics card or the mobo
is your monitor plugged into your gpu?

I’ve checked and double-checked the 4-pin connections several times, the board is indeed being supplied power. I am still unable to see a POST even after trying to jump the power switch connection with a screwdriver. Never had a computer act like this before.
Without ruling out the possibility that the CPU is DOA, the only other thing I can suggest at the moment, is that the motherboard may not be grounded to the case properly and when you bread board it, you may discover that is the issue. Make sure you didn't install extra standoff in the case and check for loose wires or screws under the motherboard.

Nov 5, 2020
Without ruling out the possibility that the CPU is DOA, the only other thing I can suggest at the moment, is that the motherboard may not be grounded to the case properly and when you bread board it, you may discover that is the issue. Make sure you didn't install extra standoff in the case and check for loose wires or screws under the motherboard.
sorry - what is bread boarding?

but I will definietly check for loose wires and screws thank you

sorry - what is bread boarding?

but I will definietly check for loose wires and screws thank you
Bread boarding is taking the motherboard out of the case and running it on top of the motherboard box or some other non conductive surface that can help avoid electrical grounding issues.

Also, you really need to make your own post if you need help, because you are taking over another persons thread.

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
I just had a thought, not yet available to try but thought I'd ask.... Is it possible I need Standoff screws for the motherboard in order to boot the pc? I just realized I never installed any as I believe my case did not ship with some.

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
But if yours aren't built in, the board could indeed be shorting out on the case. Be interested in your breadboard results.
I do know I installed screws in every available aspect of the board, it may be possible the standoffs are only in certain screw holes, and that the ones without are causing a short along the line :unsure:

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
Well even after breadboxing with either 1 stick of RAM or no RAM at all, I still only get just a flash of the RGB lighting. No fans, no nothin’. I’m going to have to guess it’s the CPU after all.

Mid-Tÿr

Prominent
Jul 2, 2019
Just did a test in the meantime by taking out the CPU entirely. The build does the exact same thing; flash of the RGB LEDs and no fans spin. Must be the CPU. Anyone ever experience similar results?