Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Hi ,
Today I have enabled ERP in bios settings in the morning , and few hours ago I´ve turned on the computer and the monitor stayed black .... I did that a couple of times and only pressing the reset button would make the display show something . So I have disabled the ERP and for now seems to be all good again .
This is a known issue ? or it was just a coincidence and the problem is somewhere else ?

PC specs :
AOC monitor with 21" and freesync , 75hz
Gigabyte b450 gaming X
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 (with RGB) at 3200mhz with XMP profile 1 enabled
XFX RX 580 GTS XXX 4gb
Bitfenix formula gold 550w
3 hdd´s from WD , 1 wd green , 1wd black ,1 wd blue
1 ssd ( kingston a400 120gb)

Solution
Any solution ??
ErP is an extreme low-power savings for certain sleep states. It's apparent that all hardware has to play well with the tech in order for it to work properly...not just the motherboard with the BIOS setting. So in addition to motherboard and CPU the GPU, PSU, monitor and quite likely drives and memory....and maybe even motherboard and mouse...would have to be fully compatible for it to work right.

And then on top of that is the simple fact that Windows is and always has been a hot mess for just about any power savings tech. It may work for a while, but something breaks and it doesn't. You can count on it.

It appears something's either not compatible in your system or broke in Windows so it doesn't work. But...

Ralston18

Titan
Windows: OS & version information?

Why did you enable ERP? Reason(s) and expectations?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer: either one or both may have captured some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that began when you enabled ERP.

Reliability History uses a timeline format that may prove useful in correlating the BIOS change with subsequent problems.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Windows: OS & version information?

Why did you enable ERP? Reason(s) and expectations?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer: either one or both may have captured some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that began when you enabled ERP.

Reliability History uses a timeline format that may prove useful in correlating the BIOS change with subsequent problems.
Winodws 10 21h1 , I enabled ERP because I have noticed that using an external HDD it still spins even with PC shut down.

I will look for the error codes then .

Ralston18

Titan
3 external HDD's - correct?

How are those HDD's being powered? E.g., an independently powered USB hub?

And specifically the HDD that "continues" to spin.

How long does the HDD continue to spin? Which HDD? Capacity, how full?

Which HDD drive, if any, is the boot drive?

= = = =

Side bar:

Reading back I realized (apologies) that the SSD ( Kingston a400 120gb) may not be the boot drive.

120 GB is now too small.

How full is that 120 GB SSD?

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
3 external HDD's - correct?

How are those HDD's being powered? E.g., an independently powered USB hub?

And specifically the HDD that "continues" to spin.

How long does the HDD continue to spin? Which HDD? Capacity, how full?

Which HDD drive, if any, is the boot drive?

= = = =

Side bar:

Reading back I realized (apologies) that the SSD ( Kingston a400 120gb) may not be the boot drive.

120 GB is now too small.

How full is that 120 GB SSD?
no , the external HDD is just one , I just use it some times . the 3 HDD´s are internal HDD´s. The external HDD I usually plug in one of the 3.0 usb ports .

The ssd is the boot drive in fact , is like half full , is used only for boot and softwares .... all the rest like docs and games goes to the HDD`s. for me 120gb for a boot drive is enough for what I need since it´s only for OS and software's that I use .

PS:the external HDD is some hitachi hdd hat is on one usb 3.0 case that I´ve bought on aliexpress ....

Any solution ??
ErP is an extreme low-power savings for certain sleep states. It's apparent that all hardware has to play well with the tech in order for it to work properly...not just the motherboard with the BIOS setting. So in addition to motherboard and CPU the GPU, PSU, monitor and quite likely drives and memory....and maybe even motherboard and mouse...would have to be fully compatible for it to work right.

And then on top of that is the simple fact that Windows is and always has been a hot mess for just about any power savings tech. It may work for a while, but something breaks and it doesn't. You can count on it.

It appears something's either not compatible in your system or broke in Windows so it doesn't work. But with boot up on modern systems so fast it's best not to worry about trying to use low-energy sleep states so just turn it off when idle and forget that setting exists.

Reactions: Rui Neves
Solution

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

It appears something's either not compatible in your system or broke in Windows so it doesn't work. But with boot up on modern systems so fast it's best not to worry about trying to use low-energy sleep states so just turn it off when idle and forget that setting exists.
humm didin´t know about that . I will forget about this function then xD , thank you

TRENDING THREADS