Feb 10, 2020
Lately ive been having an issue where my pc wont turn on sometimes when hitting the power button. The motherboard lights turn on, the ethernet indicator flashes but the power supply makes a quiet clicking static noise and doesnt turn the system on, no fans or anything. Then when i flick the power supply switch the system turns on for half a second before loosing power. After i wait for the power supply to drain and flick it back on again the system runs 100% fine and never BSODs or turns off or anything. I could run it for hours with no issues.

This only happens when the system is in its Erp S4+S5 state, when changed to default power state the power supply emits loud coil whine when shut down but the system does turn on. This also occurs sometimes when trying to wake the system up from sleep. After installing the power supply again the problem doesnt occur until about a week after re installing it.

I have tried updating the BIOS, resetting the BIOS, updating windows, removing peripherals and resetting the windows power settings. The CPU and GPU are set to default speed and are not overclocked, only the RAM is running at 3000mhz XMP.

I don't have a spare power supply to test but i believe that could be the suspect, my system specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
GPU: MSI Armor RTX 2070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHZ 16GB
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52
PSU: Coolermaster MWE Gold 750W
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB M.2
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB Drive

Last edited:
Solution
The coil whine when shut down was present when I first built the PC back in August 2019, hence why I used the S4+S5 Erp mode. If it was the power supply, wouldn't the system shut off randomly when running?

It depends on what the problem is; PSUs can fail in different ways because there are a lot of different power-related tasks it's doing. It's not a binary works/doesn't work situation.

The Cooler Masters aren't particularly good quality anyway unless they're the SeaSonic-made V series, so it makes especial sense to swap it given that it's quite obviously misbehaving.
Feb 10, 2020
Yes, I agree it looks like the PSU is the point of failure here.
The coil whine when shut down was present when I first built the PC back in August 2019, hence why I used the S4+S5 Erp mode. If it was the power supply, wouldn't the system shut off randomly when running?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It depends on what the problem is; PSUs can fail in different ways because there are a lot of different power-related tasks it's doing. It's not a binary works/doesn't work situation.

The Cooler Masters aren't particularly good quality anyway unless they're the SeaSonic-made V series, so it makes especial sense to swap it given that it's quite obviously misbehaving.

Reactions: ryvan10
Solution
Feb 10, 2020

Alright, I'll try and swap out the PSU before anything worse happens.
I was looking at the Corsair RM750x 80Plus Gold as an option for a replacement. Is that better quality in terms of reliability?