Jun 30, 2020
So I recently bought myself a brand new CPU, motherboard and RAM and when I installed everything, the computer would turn on along with all the RGB (Fans and RAM) but the pc wont output on a display. All the parts beside the CPU, Motherboard and RAM have been in use so I know there is no problem there so I'm thinking theres something wrong with the new components I ordered.

Peripherals
CPU - Intel i7-10700K
MOBO - MSI Tomahawk z490
RAM - Gskill trident z 16gb 3200mhz
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
PSU - EVGA 750W G3
AIO - Coolermaster ML240R

Now before anyone gives advice, here is a list of the things I did to try and fix the problem myself.

1. I stripped everything out to check if the PSU was faulty. The PSU worked fine for my last setup and even when tested alone it worked fine (Fans were spinning etc)
  2. I re seated the CPU and motherboard power plugs at least 10 times.
  3. Made sure the CPU was in the right position.
  4. Tried different RAM

All of these still resulted in the computer turning on and not displaying anything. No BIOS nor POST.

Here are also some of the things I've noticed.

1. The back of the CPU has these dark brown patches / stains that lead me to believe this was a used CPU, not new, and that it was faulty from overheating. ( I came to this conclusion after googling why there were these patches on the back and most people said that the CPU was fried)
  2. The Motherboard debug flashes on both the CPU and DRAM LED, which doesnt make sense because the RAM seems to be connected fine since all the RGB is lighting up.
  3. The CPU gets SUPER hot when I boot my PC and leave it on for a couple of seconds. (I don't think thats normal and therefore leads me to believe that the CPU is faulty, but idk)
  4. One of my friends had the same issue where everything was turning on except the display and BIOS, and he said that it was his motherboard that was faulty.

I really don't understand what is going on and how to resolve this issue after looking at multiple forum posts. There just seems to be no answer for my problem.
However, after noticing the dark patches on the CPU, I kind of think that the CPU might've been dead on arrival. I just need some experienced computer builders to help me out.

Sorry for long post but I thought it was necessary to list out all the things above so people know my exact situation.

PLEASE HELP I REALLY WANT TO GAME DURING THIS QUARANTINE :(((((((

Ferimer

Distinguished
So I recently bought myself a brand new CPU, motherboard and RAM and when I installed everything, the computer would turn on along with all the RGB (Fans and RAM) but the pc wont output on a display. All the parts beside the CPU, Motherboard and RAM have been in use so I know there is no problem there so I'm thinking theres something wrong with the new components I ordered.

Peripherals
CPU - Intel i7-10700K
MOBO - MSI Tomahawk z490
RAM - Gskill trident z 16gb 3200mhz
GPU - RTX 2070 Super
PSU - EVGA 750W G3
AIO - Coolermaster ML240R

Now before anyone gives advice, here is a list of the things I did to try and fix the problem myself.

1. I stripped everything out to check if the PSU was faulty. The PSU worked fine for my last setup and even when tested alone it worked fine (Fans were spinning etc)
  2. I re seated the CPU and motherboard power plugs at least 10 times.
  3. Made sure the CPU was in the right position.
  4. Tried different RAM
All of these still resulted in the computer turning on and not displaying anything. No BIOS nor POST.

Here are also some of the things I've noticed.

1. The back of the CPU has these dark brown patches / stains that lead me to believe this was a used CPU, not new, and that it was faulty from overheating. ( I came to this conclusion after googling why there were these patches on the back and most people said that the CPU was fried)
  2. The Motherboard debug flashes on both the CPU and DRAM LED, which doesnt make sense because the RAM seems to be connected fine since all the RGB is lighting up.
  3. The CPU gets SUPER hot when I boot my PC and leave it on for a couple of seconds. (I don't think thats normal and therefore leads me to believe that the CPU is faulty, but idk)
  4. One of my friends had the same issue where everything was turning on except the display and BIOS, and he said that it was his motherboard that was faulty.
I really don't understand what is going on and how to resolve this issue after looking at multiple forum posts. There just seems to be no answer for my problem.
However, after noticing the dark patches on the CPU, I kind of think that the CPU might've been dead on arrival. I just need some experienced computer builders to help me out.

Sorry for long post but I thought it was necessary to list out all the things above so people know my exact situation.

PLEASE HELP I REALLY WANT TO GAME DURING THIS QUARANTINE :(((((((
You have a CPU Cooler connected?

Jun 30, 2020
Then how are you touching the CPU to see if its hot?

As I mentioned, I have stripped everything apart multiple times to try and solve it myself. I've installed the cooler, turned it on, taken it back off to see if the cpu was misplaced or faulty. That's when I noticed the heat.

I've attached and detached mutliple times to see if the CPU was misplaced and to check if any of the little pins were covered by maybe thermal paste etc. I've touched the cpu and noticed it was always hot and had to let it cool down

Jun 30, 2020
When you are removing it you are removing the thermal paste and reapplying ? or just using the same paste over and over? you made sure to apply enough? is the AIO working properly ? did you do any adjusting in the BIOS i.e overclocking?

1. The cooler is working fine. Was used in my previous setup with i7-7700k and did well.
  2. I did not reapply constantly but I'm not sure how that would lead to my computer not displaying anything.
  3. Was never even able to get into BIOS or POST screen.
After unboxing and installing it didn't display anything.

As above, CPU MOBO RAM are all new so this is the first time they've been installed. On the first installation there was no POST screen nor option to enter bios

Ferimer

Distinguished
  1. The cooler is working fine. Was used in my previous setup with i7-7700k and did well.
  2. I did not reapply constantly but I'm not sure how that would lead to my computer not displaying anything.
  3. Was never even able to get into BIOS or POST screen.
After unboxing and installing it didn't display anything.

As above, CPU MOBO RAM are all new so this is the first time they've been installed. On the first installation there was no POST screen nor option to enter bios
Just trying to rule out certain things. You did clean the AIO heatsink though with isopropyl alcohol wipes and waited for it to dry before attaching it to the new CPU?

Jun 30, 2020
Just trying to rule out certain things. You did clean the AIO heatsink though with isopropyl alcohol wipes and waited for it to dry before attaching it to the new CPU?

When I uninstalled the AIO I did use an alcoholic wipe and removed every little crust of the thermal paste used in the previous setup.

Jun 30, 2020
then you may need to send the CPU back and explain what you found when it arrived.

:( is there a reasoning behind what you said? I'm just curious how you were able to come to that conclusion just so I don't send back a cpu that was working only to find out the mobo or something else was the problem. :(

Ferimer

Distinguished
:( is there a reasoning behind what you said? I'm just curious how you were able to come to that conclusion just so I don't send back a cpu that was working only to find out the mobo or something else was the problem. :(
Your LED lights are showing CPU right? You noticed dark brown patches when it arrived and many people say its because its fried. either you accidently fried it or it came like that. The motherboard seems to be getting power which you described in the post. the only to tell if the motherboard is faulty is maybe try a different CPU that is compatible and if it doesn't do anything then you may have a fault. Although the i7-10700k CPUS are 2 months old

I think his reasoning is this:

"The back of the CPU has these dark brown patches / stains that lead me to believe this was a used CPU, not new, and that it was faulty from overheating. ( I came to this conclusion after googling why there were these patches on the back and most people said that the CPU was fried)".

Assuming the CPU was like this when you unboxed it, prior to your installation, and you purchased it new, I'd send it back for refund or replacement regardless.

Reactions: Ferimer
Jun 30, 2020
Your LED lights are showing CPU right? You noticed dark brown patches when it arrived and many people say its because its fried. either you accidently fried it or it came like that. The motherboard seems to be getting power which you described in the post. the only to tell if the motherboard is faulty is maybe try a different CPU that is compatible and if it doesn't do anything then you may have a fault. Although the i7-10700k CPUS are 2 months old

Thanks for the replies and help! I really appreciate it and will send the CPU back and let you know on the results. Hopefully it is the CPU thats not working hahah since I dont have any other LGA 1200 chip to test out.

Reactions: Ferimer

Ferimer

Distinguished
Thanks for the replies and help! I really appreciate it and will send the CPU back and let you know on the results. Hopefully it is the CPU thats not working hahah since I dont have any other LGA 1200 chip to test out.
that would be your best option for right now. send it back and get a new one. investigate it prior to installation to make sure no more brown patches or spots