[SOLVED] PC wont let me boot to new SSD after cloning

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hello all, haven't posted in a while since usually am able to figure these types of things on my own, yet this has me stumped. So, I recently cloned my 500 gb 960 evo to a 1TB 970 EVO using a pcie NVME adapter, and got the new one working fine. However, I want to try to format the old one so i can use it as storage for my games since. When I boot my computer with both the 970 EVO and 960 EVO, it will always boot to the 960 EVO, even though the 970 EVO is on the onboard motherboard M.2 slot. even when i try to use boot override, it wil not boot to the new ssd if the old ssd is present. Can anyone tell me how to fix this. It's quite frustrating since the cloning and install went buttery smooth yet can't figure out this seemingly simple problem. Much thanks in advance!

Solution
Possibly swap the M.2 ports they are connected to.
I switched the drives and was able to boot to my new drive after making the old drive inactive using command prompt. After I successfully booted to my new drive, I made the old one active again and formatted it.
Are you able to boot off the 970 EVO standalone?
if so you should be able to change the boot order in bios and then mark the 960 as non-bootable? (may want to back it up first via Acronis or Windows Image backup so you can restore if needed).

Hello all, haven't posted in a while since usually am able to figure these types of things on my own, yet this has me stumped. So, I recently cloned my 500 gb 960 evo to a 1TB 970 EVO using a pcie NVME adapter, and got the new one working fine. However, I want to try to format the old one so i can use it as storage for my games since. When I boot my computer with both the 970 EVO and 960 EVO, it will always boot to the 960 EVO, even though the 970 EVO is on the onboard motherboard M.2 slot. even when i try to use boot override, it wil not boot to the new ssd if the old ssd is present. Can anyone tell me how to fix this. It's quite frustrating since the cloning and install went buttery smooth yet can't figure out this seemingly simple problem. Much thanks in advance!

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Are you able to boot off the 970 EVO standalone?
if so you should be able to change the boot order in bios and then mark the 960 as non-bootable? (may want to back it up first via Acronis or Windows Image backup so you can restore if needed).
Yes I am able to boot into the 970 EVO by itself, and I am able to change the boot order but im not sure how to make the 960 as non bootable using the ASUS software. I will report back soon.

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
So, with only the new drive connected, verify the boot order in the BIOS.
970 should be first.
Correct, the 970 EVO is first. In fact, if I disable all the other drives and only have the 970 as a boot drive, it WILL NOT boot to the 970 EVO as long as the 960 evo is physically present. I have an asus maximus viii hero motherboard if that matters.