[SOLVED] PC won't turn on after installing new cpu cooler

Aayden98

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
I installed the thermaltake floe ring into my pc with no issues and turned the pc on, but noticed that the lights werent working on the cooler. I shut down my pc, plugged in the cable properly into the rbg controller and now my pc wont turn on at all. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I've checked the psu cables and made sure everything was plugged in properly and still nothing... please help

Solution
The easiest way to test is to try another PSU instead of removing every component. If its not the PSU then its surely the motherboard.
I installed the thermaltake floe ring into my pc with no issues and turned the pc on, but noticed that the lights werent working on the cooler. I shut down my pc, plugged in the cable properly into the rbg controller and now my pc wont turn on at all. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I've checked the psu cables and made sure everything was plugged in properly and still nothing... please help
Could you post your system components.

Aayden98

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Could you post your system components.
i7 9700
msi b360m bazooka motherboard
corsair vengeance pro 3200mhz ram
msi ventus rtx 2080
Thermaltake smart pro rgb 850w psu
thermaltake floe ring 240mm cpu cooler
2x seagate 4tb sata hdd
1x adata nvme ssd
1x adata 2.5 inch 2tb ssd
Phanteks p400 case

Aayden98

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Did you check if you accidently bent any socket pins?

Try another working good quality 600+W PSU if its making noise. Maybe you shorted something.
I don't think i bent any socket pins, the only thing i touched was the cable going into the jusb2 slot in my motherboard because the rgb wasnt working. Then when i tried to power it on the whole system flashed for a second then didnt boot.

Also the system might power off to avoid getting damaged.
Releasing the stored power in capacitors could restore power.

Unplug power cord from PSU, press the power button for 15 seconds and again for 5 seconds.
Make sure everything is pluggged and seated properly.
Remove the CMOS battery...wait 2 minutes and insert it back.
Plug power cord and power on.

Aayden98

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Also the system might power off to avoid getting damaged.
Releasing the stored power in capacitors could restore power.

Unplug power cord from PSU, press the power button for 15 seconds and again for 5 seconds.
Make sure everything is pluggged and seated properly.
Remove the CMOS battery...wait 2 minutes and insert it back.
Plug power cord and power on.
just tried this, now the led indicator above the power button is on but the pc still won't boot, I thought it may have been an issue with the power button but ive tried every port and it still wont turn on

Aayden98

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
So the power LED on the case lights up?

What do you mean by that statement?
Which ports? Doing what?
The power light is constant, no flashing, by ports i mean every front port on the motherboard, i thought it may have been a faulty cable, im going to try my old psu now and see if that helps

Update: Still no luck booting with the old psu, I think it may be the motherboard.

Last edited:
The power light is constant, no flashing, by ports i mean every front port on the motherboard, i thought it may have been a faulty cable, im going to try my old psu now and see if that helps

Update: Still no luck booting with the old psu, I think it may be the motherboard.
I would try one more time, outside the case with bare minimum (CPU and one RAM stick). Just to see if it powers up.
While outside the case, power on by shorting the power connectors with a flat screwdriver.

Aayden98

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
I would try one more time, outside the case with bare minimum (CPU and one RAM stick). Just to see if it powers up.
While outside the case, power on by shorting the power connectors with a flat screwdriver.
this may seem like a stupid question, but how exactly do i do that? I can't seem to find the power pins anywhere

zx128k

Reputable
Tried re-seating the cpu and heat sink? Could be that pressure is too little of too much on different parts of the cpu. Seen posts in the past of people that killed their motherboard and blame rgb for it. Hopefully this is not the case.

Aayden98

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
Tried re-seating the cpu and heat sink? Could be that pressure is too little of too much on different parts of the cpu. Seen posts in the past of people that killed their motherboard and blame rgb for it. Hopefully this is not the case.
Yep. I tried everything I can think of, I took out the cpu, applied new thermal paste, tried different power supplies, remove the cmos battery, tried a different cpu cooler, tried loosening it like you said and nothing, the only sign of life that my pc had was the hdd led when I turned the psu on but that’s about it.

zx128k

Reputable
Yep. I tried everything I can think of, I took out the cpu, applied new thermal paste, tried different power supplies, remove the cmos battery, tried a different cpu cooler, tried loosening it like you said and nothing, the only sign of life that my pc had was the hdd led when I turned the psu on but that’s about it.

No power led, so the green led is off for power? No lights on the motherboard or fan spin?