Question PC won't turn on using power button until PSU is switched off and on again

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Hello forums,

Just a couple days ago my computer started having this problem where after being off through the night, it wouldn't turn on the next day until I switch the PSU off and then on again. I recently bought a wireless razer mouse which charges by putting it on a stand which has RGB, and this might be important because the first few days i left my mouse charging it would max out (leds tun static green) by the next morning as one would expect, but ever since these problems turning on my computer started happening, i realized my mouse blinks orange (colors represent charge level) meaning it charged only a little overnight, as if my PC had had no power all night. To make my PC tun on i have to power cycle my PSU but i realized if i wait too long after switching PSU back on, it won't turn on, starting today i also had to spam the power button until it turned on right after cycling. Also I'm using a 2000W Koblenz regulator.

my components are:
Asus Strix z690 Gaming A WiFi D4
i7 12700k
RTX 3080ti
Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2x16 GB c16 3600mhz DDR4
Seasonic FOCUS Gold 850w
2 HDDs + 1 nvme m.2 SSD + 1 sata SSD

I will add any information requested if more is needed.
Thank you very much.

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
ERP issue?

Is ERP enabled?
Everything in the APM configuration screen is disabled, which is Restore AC Power Loss, max power saving, ErP ready and power on by pci-e/rtc

So your using the PC USB to charge the mouse?
It sounds like it's tripping the power supply safety.
That could be the case but why would it start doing it just now? Yes it charges via USB, I've had this mouse (Razer Basilisk Ultimate with charging dock) for almost a month and never had this problem before. Im gonna try unplugging my mouse stand and turn the pc off then on again and see what happens.

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Update: I tried unplugging the mouse dock and turning the computer off and on again and it worked even after leaving it off for a while, i then unplugged 2 usb cables that were just for powering a capture card and charging my headset and moved them to my monitor and everything works correctly even with the mouse dock connected. It seems it was indeed a PSU safety trigger, maybe I was passively drawing too much power from the usb ports. Will keep updating or close thread if everything keeps working properly in the next few days.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Everything in the APM configuration screen is disabled, which is Restore AC Power Loss, max power saving, ErP ready and power on by pci-e/rtc

That could be the case but why would it start doing it just now? Yes it charges via USB, I've had this mouse (Razer Basilisk Ultimate with charging dock) for almost a month and never had this problem before. Im gonna try unplugging my mouse stand and turn the pc off then on again and see what happens.
Most of the time if you need to cut the PSU off and on it's a safety kicked in.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Update: I tried unplugging the mouse dock and turning the computer off and on again and it worked even after leaving it off for a while, i then unplugged 2 usb cables that were just for powering a capture card and charging my headset and moved them to my monitor and everything works correctly even with the mouse dock connected. It seems it was indeed a PSU safety trigger, maybe I was passively drawing too much power from the usb ports. Will keep updating or close thread if everything keeps working properly in the next few days.
I would probably buy a cheap USB charger for the mouse dock just to be safe.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
I would probably buy a cheap USB charger for the mouse dock just to be safe.
The problem is, the dock is sort of 2 in 1, it charges the mouse when you mount it but it also works as an extension for the USB receiver (the dongle goes into the dock). It also connects to the razer chroma software.

But I will just keep in mind what happened, It also so happened that last night i left my headset plugged in to charge it overnight so that may also be why it triggered, as i had multiple devices drawing power. My capture card is pretty generic and fails sometimes so I definitely would point at it if something were to be at fault, that's why I moved it over to my monitor's usb just for power along with my headset charging cable.

BlazingSword

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Ok so, my PSU died
2 days ago, i was using my computer, simply watching YT when I saw a small flash of light and a popping sound coming from the back of my computer, right from the power supply, my computer shut off immediately and instead of trying to turn it on again i went and bought a new PSU, as a suggestion from the clerk of the store where i bought the new power supply, I also bought a 12 dollar generic 500W one, this one was just for testing if my computer would turn on at all or if it would blow the power supply, to test this they told me to remove the hard drives, GPU and RAM, basically leave only the mobo, cpu and cooler connected.

I was so happy when my computer did turn on for a moment and i thought this was victory, i then connected the replacement power supply (a Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850w) and finished reconnecting everything, now this detail might be important, my motherboard has 2 8-pin connectors for the CPU, previously i had been using only one because i didn't have the extra cable to connect it, but since this new psu had a bunch of cables i decided to go ahead and plug the two cables in.
However when i tried to start my computer after plugging everything and putting everything in it's place, my computer would turn on, fans spin and lights work, but the motherboard wouldn't post, there was no mb beep and i would get no video signal (tested RAM and GPU externally and they're perfectly fine), also the new power supply would sometimes make weird electric noises like it was shorting or something like that, and then a burning smell came from one of the hard drives. In the end i decided to bring it to the repair service in the same shop where i bought this new PSU along with my CPU and motherboard which i had just bought on may 20th. Hopefully they will be able to tell me what went wrong and if i can claim guarantees from said products.

All in all i think my PSU was starting to fail which is weird since it has a 7 year guarantee and it failed after 3 years, i do remember it would always run super hot, but i thought it was normal and never checked if the fan was properly spinning.