Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeintexas

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
HP ML 350 G3 with pci-x ( not pci-express ). Does anyone know of an
existing video card with the compaq pci-x interface ( i know plain
jane pci will work but I would like better performance ).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think he specifically stated PCI-X. Most server boards don't even have an AGP slot, many have onboard video and a bunch of PCI-X slots.

Besides, AGP cards would work in AGP Pro slots if that's what he had.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Next time show a picture for them :p
eg: http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html
or: ftp://ftp.tyan.com/img_mobo/i_s2895.tif

Oh, and if the PCI-X slot is backwards compatible (most are to PCI 3.3v, but not PCI 5v cards) then you can install a PCI (most likely 2.2 / 2.3) video card as an 'upgrade'.... sadly this limits you heaps and you'll get nothing worth bragging about in the PCI video card department :(

Just be thankful PCI-X is backwards compatible, but only with newer 3.3v cards, of a certain PCI version (2.2 ?) they should be key'd slightly differently. (eg: Look at an Audigy 1 vs an Audigy 2 ZS to see the difference - from memory)

You should've thought of this before buying a server :p

The Tyan K8WE is a fine board that is based on the nForce Pro 2200, 2050 and AMD-8000 series chipsets.... it thus sports 2 x PCIe x16 slots and supports SLI.

EDIT: Sorry, you already knew all that :p

You could try looking for older Matrox video cards perhaps ?, no new GPU cards will be available for you to install on that system as far as I'm aware.

GeForce 4 MX 460 for PCI slot might be it really, and the performance difference between the PCI and AGP varients once in game is not that huge so long as it has enough video memory.

If the PCI-X slots run on seperate bridges or tunnels you can run some at 100/133 or 66/100 x 64 bit, and just the video one at 33/66 x 32 bit (and sadly chances are it will be 33 MHz x 32 bit)... obviously you don't want one video card limiting other slots to the same slow ass settings.

eg: 133 MB/sec bus vs a 533 MB/sec to 1.066 GB/sec bus.

Can you get a photo of the board, and maybe link to the manual / jumper (if any) configs ?

If you're just running *nix or Solaris on it an old PCI Tseng Labs card should do the job shouldn't it ?

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Checked: http://www.hp.com/buy/parts ; and it appears HP / Compaq stock nothing for it anymore.

Google, Alltheweb, etc and searching for PCI-X video cards is your best bet.... and sadly most the idiots out there abvreviate PCI Express Graphics x16 as PCI-X, and not PCIe x16 or PEG x16 as they should be.

If you want more than GeForce 4 MX performance you'll need to get a new server board with both PCI-X and PCIe x16 slots.

http://www.tyan.com is a good starting place.
then next bet would be:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/Networking/Products_List.aspx?ClassID=17

Sell the system and start over ?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, Radeon 8500 based cards are available in PCI as well. The 9100 is an 8500LE (renamed, that's it) and was available in PCI.

That's a full generation newer than GeForce2 cards like the GeForce4 MX460, and a full step higher market range as well.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
True,

I used to run a Radeon 9000 Pro (AGP though) performed a full 40% better than the Radeon 9000 (non Pro) card..... while saving for a Hercules / Guillemot Radeon 9700 Pro.

It was a damn good card, but today it wouldn't even hold a candle performance wise to the Radeon X800 XL or GeForce 6800 GT/GS.

mikeintexas

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks everyone. I am using a regular pci(128mb) I got down at the
local shop. The onboard ati-rsge chip with 8mb was just not doing it for me. This thing used to be a server and is now my workstation for
oracle dev....blah, blah.
It does only have pci and pci-x slots in it. I will stick with theold
nvidia geforce 5200x that I stuck in it.
Thanks again.

G

I found a PCI-X (64 bit) card made by matrox (G450) :D only I can't seem to find one for sale any were and they are likely to be expensive

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
OK, I realize that this is an old thread (inactive for almost a year at this posting) but since, when *I* searched for PCI-X Video Cards on Google, this was the second item on the list, I thought I'd make a few updates.
1) While there are indeed server boards that come with both PCI-e (x1 v1.0 all the way through x16 v2.0) and AGP, they are NOT common. PCI-x, or PCI Extended, though found in some PC boards and workstation boards, are mostly found on, and mostly the only thing found on, servers, especially rack mounted servers. The reason for this being that they are meant for faster processing of data, not for the processing of high-end sound or video (talking over a gig ram, here, people). Again, there are server boards that have PCI and PCI-e. They just aren't all that common. Servers, while easily converted into decent gaming machines, are designed primarily for nothing more than data transfers and processing on a network. This means that they want something that operates quickly, not something that can run games like shooting a fly with a cannon.

2) If the server unit you are using is a rack mounted unit, like mine, then you have the option of changing out the riser card that turns the slot 90 degrees. They come in about a dozen different flavors, including PCI (useless, since a PCI-x will run a PCI, as long as it's a 5.0v unit with the notch in it), PCI-e, and AGP, depending on the manufacturer. They range anywhere from $10 to $50, depending on where you get them from and the server's manufacturer.

3) Depending on whether you want a high end (more than 1g built in ram) or are willing to settle for a middling card (as in 512mb-1gb built in ram, depending on budget, with a 128-bit GPU), there are still a couple companies that make GeForce chipset video/graphics cards for regular PCI 2.0 slots that do fit into PCI-x slots. More importantly, since almost all PCI-x slots (low profile and regular) operate at higher clock speeds than PCI slots do, if you get a card with a higher clock speed (manufacturers always seem to forget that, no matter how fast your GPU operates, if the bus operates slower than that, the card HAS to dumb down its operations to match the bus speed) you'll get more of the bang from the PCI card in a PCI-x slot than you would from a PCI slot. Still not as much as a PCI-e x16 slot, but better than a PCI-e x8. Perfect example being that I bought an IBM Eserver with 1 PCI-x (133mhz bus clock speed) and 1 PCI-x Low Profile (100 mhz bus clock speed). to fill the larger slot, I purchased a PCI video card with 512mb ram and a 128-bit GPU that operates at 400mhz. In a standard PCI 2.0 slot, this would max out at 66mhz, despite the card's ability to operate at 6x that. with the PCI-x slot with a 133mhz bus speed, it operates at double the theoretical capacity.

~Zarius

jquimze15

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Dear Sir, hello! My name is Quim (Kim) from Portugal.
Thank You for the update on a question I'm having some doubts latelly and thats why i'm asking for your help on this subject.
I think i might be having a translation problem on trying to understand your explanation (i'm portuguese):
You wrote "useless, since a PCI-x will run a PCI-e, as long as it's a 5.0v unit with the notch in it". So from what i understood, i can insert pci-e graphics card in my pci-x slot with a riser card. Witch type /name/part number?
I have a Supermicro P4DP8-P2 using 2xXeon 2,4GHz to build a home pc, thinking about to apply the best graphics card possible and was looking for one with pci slot, but knowing the advantage of pci-x and your advise i would give it a try... Can you advise more specifically on this machine and also on some graphics card?

Thanks in advance,
Kim

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Quim: No, you can put a PCI (standard) into a PCI-x slot, but you can NOT put a PCI-e of any type into a PCI-x slot, nor a PCI or PCI-x into a PCI-e. Hope that helps. Also, depending on the type of server, even if the card fits, it may/may not be able to use the card. Some server manufacturers use different IRQs for things than workstation and PC manufacturers.

AngelofDarkness, The last post was made about a year ago previous to mine. Apparently my posting on it was not a bad idea, since someone then posted a question to my reply. Shut up, you buffoon.

Daddiggle: that link is bad.

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, but the lad that has done this thread is not anymore in this forum, so he will not read your posts, so *** off twat.

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
First off, as I said, I was making the post because it was the second link when I did a Google for PCI-x video cards for my server. The information in the post seemed incoherent, so I didn't figure that a simple update would be a problem.

Second off, get some new insults and learn proper grammar. You sound like a fifth grader with severe i-D10T syndrome.

Third, what the heck business of YOURS is it if we decide to revive a dead thread? Quit wasting your time and mine, unless, of course, you've been hired by the site's admin to go around and check all the dead threads and insult anyone making new posts.

Now shut up, turd burglar.

dragonorb13

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Meh, they might not be creative, but they are stupid enough that it should be obvious that I don't really mean the insults, and at least I don't repeat mine :p

AngelOfDarkness

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010

So, you, a pussy.. are gonna tell me how to write and insult a bumboy ? no thank you dude, fucktard.

No, it's just simple logic that a moron like you cannot understand, so *** OFF!!

Twat. :hello:

slammy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I just picked up an old server (build around 2006) with several pci-x and one agp slot. I am turning it into a workstation and would like some advice on upgrading the video card. It came with a 64mb geoforce 5500 something and I would like to upgrade that to something more recent. First, should I stick with the agp or pci-x for the video? From what I've read so far they almost equal in speed but the pci-x runs at the lowest clock speed on the bus which could slow things down. There seems to be more agp cards than pci-x and the agp seem cheaper. Thoughts?

Slate

Status
Not open for further replies.