Scotland2011

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
I have just received my new GPU that requires two 8 pin power cables
I have the Corsair HX750 Platinum PSU
Unfortunately due to breaking up with the ex and moving out of the house I have lost my spare cables.
My mate has a spare 8 pin power cable from his Inwin PSU
Can I use this in conjunction with my original Corsair 8 pin power cable that came with my PSU to power my new GPU?
I had read some people say it’s fine to mix and other people saying it can kill parts.

Solution
NO!!

Do not use cables from another unit or brand. Ever. You can SOMETIMES use cables from another unit from the same brand, like using EVGA P2, T2 or GQ cables with a G2, but you absolutely need to verify first that they are compatible and the pin outs from one brand to another or even one series to another within the same brand are often not the same and it is a serious risk to try and guess on this. Don't do it.

If you have to buy a set of cables, buy them. If you have to buy a new unit, buy it. Do not try using some other cables or you may VERY WELL end up buying a new graphics card, power supply, motherboard, or even other hardware, before it's all said and done. It is simply not worth the risk.

Anybody who says "it's fine"...
NO!!

Do not use cables from another unit or brand. Ever. You can SOMETIMES use cables from another unit from the same brand, like using EVGA P2, T2 or GQ cables with a G2, but you absolutely need to verify first that they are compatible and the pin outs from one brand to another or even one series to another within the same brand are often not the same and it is a serious risk to try and guess on this. Don't do it.

If you have to buy a set of cables, buy them. If you have to buy a new unit, buy it. Do not try using some other cables or you may VERY WELL end up buying a new graphics card, power supply, motherboard, or even other hardware, before it's all said and done. It is simply not worth the risk.

Anybody who says "it's fine" without CONCRETE evidence from the manufacturers, including pinouts of BOTH units, is an idiot. Period.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS