jnjnilson6

Distinguished
I'd had a laptop running a Pentium 3558U processor (2 cores / 1.7 GHz) which laptop has been dead and dead for many years now. It used to have 4 GB RAM and a 500 GB Hard Drive and Integrated Graphics (Haswell). Used to run Windows 10 and performed steadily and quite well. However, I had replaced the Hard Drive with a 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD. It was used for all the light tasks you can think of - reading books, using MS Office, watching movies, browsing on YouTube and lighter operations with synonymous software.

Now, my question is:
Have you ever had a synonymous light system you recurrently come to think about and remember? What were the specs and what software it used to run?

*Said machine in my case was a DELL Inspiron 3542.

How do you think the machines (or machine) you'd consider writing about would perform the tasks they had in the past in the software world of 2023? Do they still currently keep operating somewhere and if so, what OS and software is being run? Or said machines (machine) long had their lids closed in the blueness of a gaudy room and been put to sleep indefinitely? No more zeroes and ones to venture tirelessly through the infinite chasms of a darkened screen, drop in of the quintessential vigor of breathless computing perambulations, vividly ascribing the beauty of the computing experience within soft beeps and lighter sound, beginning to shape-in an undoubtful array of silver-strewn memories within the specifications and the performance which directly dazzle the mind; unrecapturable, unabandoned hours, ready to stir up the memory thereafter for a long, long time...

Do drop a few lines. It could be quite an interesting topic. :)

Thank you!

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Light as in the weight of the system in terms of kg/lb? Or as in light in hardware capabilities?
Does my still running Core 2 Quad count for the latter?
A light or lighter system in terms of the particular components and their generated impact upon the software, thus components which do not classify as high or middle-end, but rather as low to middle-end, which ought to perform computation of lighter software relatively smoothly and unobtrusively. Thus I am mainly focusing upon these aspects and not so much the specific weight of the machine. It's like a noble aesthete drawing on a beautiful canvas and thinking about his drawing materials instead of the drawing itself. Though, you're right, it can be taken both ways.

Thank you for writing up!

USAFRet

Titan
My Tosh laptop in the first post here.

Have not used it in a couple of years, but disturbingly slow.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
A light or lighter system in terms of the particular components and their generated impact upon the software
(...)
Ahh. Yeah, I'm using that system almost daily as multimedia/youtube machine and for when I need to look up guides or stuff during a game. Not high end in this day and age, but going back to maybe 2013 that would've been still quite a beefy machine. And it can still hold up surprisingly well, with the GPU I put in I can even play games up to maybe 2016 pretty well. Doom and Witcher 3 run fine.

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Ahh. Yeah, I'm using that system almost daily as multimedia/youtube machine and for when I need to look up guides or stuff during a game. Not high end in this day and age, but going back to maybe 2013 that would've been still quite a beefy machine. And it can still hold up surprisingly well, with the GPU I put in I can even play games up to maybe 2016 pretty well. Doom and Witcher 3 run fine.
Would be glad to hear about the other specs of the machine and the particular CPU model, if you would like to provide them. :)

Sure.
Got a Xeon X5460 modded to LGA775, clocks stable to 4.1 GHz with 1.4 v
paired with a GTX 660 Ti that does stable 1202 MHz
8 GB DDR2, mixed kits (2x Corsair Value 2 GB DDR2-800 CL5 and 2x 2 GB G.Skill Performance DDR2-1000 CL5)
On a Gigabyte P35-DS3R and cooled with a Hyper 212 Evo.
Highest FSB I got stable so far was 473 FSB, but max performance would be with 456 and a 9x multi on the CPU.

If it weren't for the power consumption it could be still a decent budget rig, but something like a used Ryzen 1200 or i3-8100 will outperform it.
Same for the GPU, a GTX 950/1050 or RX 560 will be faster and less hungry.
8 GB RAM are still fine, but DDR3 or even DDR4 will be cheaper yet again.
And the price difference between one of the good LGA775 boards and a budget AM4/LGA1155/1150/1151/1200 will be noticable as well.

It's basically my old machine before my last upgrade, so I just kept it, and pushed some old hardware into it over time.