Pentium 4 processor - used?

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
Hello, I bought a P4 LGA 775 530 processor from a retailer as a boxed version, however the S-Spec number (SL7J6) tells otherwise; also the processor obviously has been used because it has traces from the cooler surface (maybe
from testing, is this the retailer's job)? Should I go back and demand
a replace? Thank you in advance, Lucian

I'd take it back and request a new one.

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
On what count? Used or OEM vs. boxed? Is it ok to have cooler traces? Regarding boxed vs oem, it came in a box though and the FPO# on the box matches the one on the processor. But the SL7J6 remains.. and it's also on the box. Pretty puzzled at all this.. is it boxed or oem?

You can always ask the vendor if he does testing on ALL CPUs prior to selling. Have you dealt with this vendor before? Did it come with one of the mfr HSFs? I personally wouldn't want someone opening a retail box, using it and then selling it to me as new. You pay retail prices for a reason...If it was opened, then you have NO idea how long it was used.

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

You can always ask the vendor if he does testing on ALL CPUs prior to selling. Have you dealt with this vendor before? Did it come with one of the mfr HSFs? I personally wouldn't want someone opening a retail box, using it and then selling it to me as new. You pay retail prices for a reason...If it was opened, then you have NO idea how long it was used.

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
The box was open and when I asked why's that they said "for marking" (it has the purchase date on it and also marked "A3B"). But the opening and marking was not made in front of me. I don't know anything about this retailer, I'll go and ask them about testing, but I'm sure they'll try to trick me and tell me anything just to get away with the product not replaced. That's why I'm asking what the general "customs" are among retailers. So you say normally the box should come NOT OPEN?

If you think they might try to trick you, then hold off on an immediate confrontation. Gather as much info as you can to support your claim and THEN confront them if you're suspicions are correct. I submitted a question to Intel on whether there is a different part#/model# for the OEM and retail versions and I'll let you know what they say when I get the response.

- John Paul Jones

The following link indetifies what is in a retail boxed processor:
<A HREF="http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-001508.htm" target="_new">http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-001508.htm</A>
What portion of those materials did yours come with?

- John Paul Jones

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
Too late, I went to them already. About the cooler trace, they exluded completely this possibility (they didn't say anything about testing), even though the square trace matches completely the square shaped material on the cooler; first they said it may be from some label "you see, we sometimes mark the processor with labels, and sometimes we just mark them with a pen". So I said where's the label, why'd you take it off and mark with a pen instead. Then they changed it to "it's probably from the manufacturing machine, probably that's how it got out from the factory". Good joke :). They said if it was a cooler, the substance would have sticked and remained there, much more visible; I say it can be cleaned easily right? BTW, if the cooler sticks like that, how do you reuse a cooler with its substance lost on the first processor?

Regarding oem vs box, their only answer to the S-spec sl7j6 on the processor, meaning "oem" was "we don't know, that's how we got them, sorry can't help you with that one".
The good part is that they agreed to give me another box. After I asked, will it be open too and with sl7j6 on it, they said we don't know about sl7j6 but open yes because we mark them when they come to the store, not when they're bought. I finally persuaded them to inform me when the next transport arrives (that'll be on Saturday or Monday), and let me be there while they open a box and mark the cpu in front of me, and give me that one instead of the one first purchased. So I'm pretty happy with all:). With this, I'm not sure anymore whether they tried any bad stuff in the beginning and then backed up when got caught, or they're completely honest.

About what the box contained:
Active fan heatsink - yes
Heatsink support kit - don't know what's that; if it's a manual for the cooler, I don't have it; otherwise the cooler has all the physical parts needed to be installed.
Thermal interface material - that's on the downside of the cooler, yes.
Fan power cable - yes
Installation manual - for the processor, yes
Certificate of authenticity - nope
Intel® Inside® Logo sticker - yes
3-year limited warranty - yes

Thank you for your input, looking forward to see what the Intel staff responds.

Lucian

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
And btw here are all the numbers:
On the CPU:
SL7J6 MALAY
L428B074

On the box:
Product code: BX80547PG3000ESL7J6
NM#: 861592
FPO#: L428B074 (same as on the cpu)
Version#: C70369-003

RichPLS

Champion
No coa and that right there tells me something is funny.
Retail CPU's are to be new and complete intel packaging, and no need to re-mark the processor.
I would not do business with these guys again.
Who are they?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
They're in Timisoara, Romania, company named Eta2U, you wouldn't know them.
What does this COA look like? Perhaps I have it and don't know.

The last link I posted states the difference between packaging for the retail vs OEM. This link:
<A HREF="http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL7J6&ProcFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL" target="_new">http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL7J6&ProcFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL</A> has order codes for both the OEM and boxed versions of this spec. Your link answers the question I submitted to Intel. If I'm reading this correctly, the boxed version of this processor should be marked with SL7KK. I'll still let you know what Intel tells me when they respond.

- John Paul Jones

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
There something weird about the table at the link I gave. The columns say something about "testing": "Boxed Test Specification" and same for OEM. Not sure what this "test specification" means. On the the other hand the whole table is supposed to apply only for Boxed proceesors, as it's stated in the page beginning:
---begin quote
"Below are tables containing information on Intel boxed processors. Boxed processors are intended for use by system integrators who build systems from motherboards and off-the-shelf components. Information on non-boxed Intel processors (also known as OEM processors) can be found in the appropriate processor Specification Update, which can be found at http://developer.intel.com/design/processor. Where applicable, notes have been added to clarify differences between boxed processors. For a complete set of processor features, consult the applicable processor Specification Update.

A test specification, or S-spec number is a five-digit code used to identify products. Products are differentiated by their unique characteristics, e.g., core speed, L2 cache size, package type, etc. as described in the processor identification information table in the Specification Update."
---end quote

In the explanation of the S-spec number, there's nothing said about oem vs boxed, only the characteristics

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's just a sheet of paper. Do you have the retail box label or not? That's what you need.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

dinoshan

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
It may seem far fetched,but here is my two cents worth...

Box versions are neatly plastic shrink packed. It has no need to be opened at all, whatever the reason.

What I deduce to this mystery is that these guys may be actually renting out their systems to companies for a given period of time maybe like 6mths.You can fetch a high rental for high end processors. After that they just replace the processor in the box and resell them as new. That's why the numbers match on the box because they don't throw them away.

lucianion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
That would be a possibility, but as you said highly unlikely; I looked what are the services they offer and renting doesn't seem to be on the list.
Thing is, they kept their word and changed my cpu with a new one, in a closed box (it has the Intel seals on it). They even gave up opening and "marking" it, even though I wouldn't have minded as long as they did that operation in my presence.
The funny surprise is that this cpu too has the square traces I was talking about! (it's visible through the box). Also, the guy at the store's depot was very kind and let me look at several other cpus (in open boxes, supposedly new); all of them have the trace. Now I would be really curious to hear from someone who has bought a boxed 530 p4: does it or does it not have a square trace on it?
The S-Spec number is the same, SL7J6, but I'm not so sure of its relevance anymore.

you sure your not seeing things?

there you go.

Also, do you want gmail?