WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
This is my final resort.

For the past 6 months every game I have played has suffered the same issue. I'll have split second moments where everyone will freeze and my ping will increase a small amount (usually from about 21 to about 50 then back down again). I originally thought it may have been a packet loss issue but I can't seem to find any evidence that suggests so and my ISP claims that they can not see any issue.

Is it possible that this may be a hardware issue?

When these freezes do happen though, I receive a networking sign in games like Rainbow Six and Overwatch.

i'm honestly at a loss now

Solution
If on DSL, check for a firmware update for your modem. Whether on DSL or cable though, how old is your modem?

There are also guides for some games on how to adjust your game browser settings to get the most stable ping.

Playing on foreign servers as you may know can result in higher and less stable ping. Sometimes certain games just have very messy data routes from their servers to your PC though. For that there are certain services that connect you via more streamlined server routes for lower latency and thus lower ping, like Kill Ping and Haste. Some have a free trial period, I know Haste does.

Here's a list of ping lowering apps that can be used free. https://alternativeto.net/software/kill-ping/?license=free
If on DSL, check for a firmware update for your modem. Whether on DSL or cable though, how old is your modem?

There are also guides for some games on how to adjust your game browser settings to get the most stable ping.

Playing on foreign servers as you may know can result in higher and less stable ping. Sometimes certain games just have very messy data routes from their servers to your PC though. For that there are certain services that connect you via more streamlined server routes for lower latency and thus lower ping, like Kill Ping and Haste. Some have a free trial period, I know Haste does.

Here's a list of ping lowering apps that can be used free. https://alternativeto.net/software/kill-ping/?license=free

Last edited:
Solution
I'm running fibre on a BT Home hub 6 - I've got them to send out a new router on Saturday so here's to hope it helps
Sometimes a fast ISP and new modem don't necessarily fix the problem though. If your ping is fine on some games, but problematic on others, chances are you're either playing on foreign servers or the data route from the game server to your PC is very cluttered (zig zagging back and forth through several servers). You can solve the first by region locking to servers in your country in your game browser. The 2nd can only be resolved by a ping lowering application that streamlines your server connection to the game server.

Read the rest of my above post, it's been edited to reflect on that.

Last edited:

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
It's consistent in all games mate, and all the games are server locked to my region which is in Europe since I'm in the UK 👍 have you got any ping lowering apps to recommend ?
Cheers