[SOLVED] Performed a memtest and now my SSD isn't my main boot drive

Oct 22, 2022
Hi. I recently replaced my motherboard and my CPU and did a clean installation of windows, but I was getting BSODs constantly, so I ran a lot of tests. Problem is, after running memtest, I turned on my PC and got the the prompt "Select proper boot device or insert media device and restart". When I restarted and checked the bios, there was a new boot option called "Windows Boot Manager (TOSHIBA)". The TOSHIBA drive is my HDD. If I choose it as my Boot option #1, my PC starts normally and as fast as the NVME performs, but if I choose the NVME as my first boot option, I get the prompt to select a proper boot device again. I also noticed there are 2 partitions on the HDD, EFI System partition and a Recovery partition. Anyone knows any fixes? Soon I'll be replacing my HDD for an SSD. Thanks in advance.

System:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 16gb 2133mhz
Motherboard: Asrock B550m-HDV
NVME: NV2 Kingston 512gb
HDD: 1TB

Solution
Hey there,

So when you did the install of Windows on the NVME, did you disconnect the HDD? if not this is why the issue persists. The boot record is still on the HDD.

There are two options:

1. Reinstall Windows to the SSD without the HDD attached.
  2. There are command prompts, I'm pretty sure can achieve same or similar result, by rebuilding the boot record/manger on to the correct drive. However, I do not know how to do this myself, so perhaps someone else can advise.
Hey there,

So when you did the install of Windows on the NVME, did you disconnect the HDD? if not this is why the issue persists. The boot record is still on the HDD.

There are two options:

2. There are command prompts, I'm pretty sure can achieve same or similar result, by rebuilding the boot record/manger on to the correct drive. However, I do not know how to do this myself, so perhaps someone else can advise.

Solution
Oct 22, 2022
Hey there,

There are two options:

Nope, I did not disconnect anything while doing memtest since I didn't expect it to happen, but I'll reinstall windows without the HDD plugged in. As simple as the solution sounds, I didn't think about it, so thank you.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead