[SOLVED] Peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor) not working

Oct 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I was away from home for a month and left my PC off the entire time. When I got back home I turned my PC on and let it idle for about 5 minutes while I got settled in. After 5 minutes, without any activity on the PC, I heard an audible click sound and the entire PC turned off.

When I tried turning the PC back on the system had power, component lights were on, but no peripherals were working and the fans weren't spinning.

I tested the peripherals on my laptop and all worked fine there.

I replaced the motherboard and had to get a new CPU and water cooler to fit. After doing that the fans started working but still nothing with the peripherals. I tested each existing sticks of ram individually thinking maybe it would be one of those, no luck there either so I tried brand new ram. Still nothing. Removed the sound card in case that was somehow the issue, it's not. Removed the GPU and tried the monitor on the new integrated port with the same result.

This is practically a brand new system. The only things that haven't been changed are the PSU, chassis fans, and case.

When I turn the PC on everything seems fine, no beeping. You can hear the water cooler start, all fans are running (including PSU), neither the CPU or motherboard get hot.

After all this, could it just be the PSU? :rolleyes:

CURRENT COMPONENTS -
MB - Prime H370-plus (BRAND NEW)
CPU - Intel i5-9600K (BRAND NEW)
CPU COOLING - LIQMAX III (BRAND NEW)
GPU - ASUS GTX 1070 8GB
RAM - GAMMIX D30 - 16 GB DDR4 (BRAND NEW)
PSU - Corsair AX-1200 bronze
Everything is compatible.

Solution
take the mobo to a shop to get it flash to the latest
or
replace the mobo with one that work with 9th gen right out the box with z390 chipset

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Sounds like PSU to me as you seemed to have did a detailed technical run though. It could be something shorting but I think PSU, so try that. Often times when PSU goes out, it takes out other components like the motherboard, which sounds like it might be the case.

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
Seems like fried/damaged ports on MOBO... but you said it was same for GPU, are you connecting via DVI or HDMI? Did you tried to connect GPU in diffrent MOBO?

Oct 29, 2019
I tried with two different motherboards with and without the card, same result.
I'm using DVI, why?
It's not just the graphics that's the issue, the keyboard and mouse are also not responding.

MeO123

Commendable
Oct 28, 2019
I am just asking if you checked components on diffrent mobo like CPU GPU PSU etc... that could eliminate what cause problem... for me is faulty mobo, and if it's on warranty you should replace it.

Oct 29, 2019
I can't get to the BIOS at all, so I'm not sure.

The only 'old' components left at this point are the drives and GPU. Everything else has been replaced within the last 5 days.

Last edited: